About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum 5 days Lucerne, Interlaken - ideas for itinerary
MySwissAlps features commercial and non-commercial links.

5 days Lucerne, Interlaken - ideas for itinerary

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Salmann
Salmann
4 posts
Sep 5, 2021 - 8:14 PM

Hi team

I am arriving to Zurich on 11th Sep (afternoon) and will be in Switzerland (until 15th Sep).

Kindly help me plan activities and places to visit.

I have booked two days hotel in Lucerne followed by 2 days in Interlaken. Hotels are cancellable so i can accommodate expert ideas.

Someone told me that Wengen is very good place also.

Please help me in making the itinerary.

I have one day left at end.

Also, need information on travel pass for 5 days where i dont have to buy anything on spot.

pvonk
pvonk
275 posts
top member
Sep 6, 2021 - 1:15 AM in reply to Salmann

It's hard to advise you without knowing what you are interested in seeing/doing: museums, hiking (easy or harder trails, or just walking about towns admiring the views, etc), photography, sampling good food, bigger towns/cities or small alpine villages, boating on lakes, .....

Salmann
Salmann
4 posts
Sep 6, 2021 - 6:51 AM

Hi. Really appreciate your quick response and clarification sought. We would not prefer hiking. Preferences are walking towns, sight seeing, photography and lakes, mountain trains etc. We are planning to explore natural beauty and having great scenic views.

Anna
Anna
1467 posts
top member &
Sep 6, 2021 - 7:51 AM in reply to Salmann

Hi Salmann,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

Based on your interests, Lucerne would be a good base to start your trip. The city is very touristic and easy to explore on foot: www.myswissalps.com/hiking/lucerne

You would also probably enjoy going on boat rides on the lake: www.myswissalps.com/boatlakelucerne

I recommend taking the Pilatus Golden Round trip to see the mountains and surrounding landscapes www.myswissalps.com/pilatus

Interlaken as your next base is ideal for exploring the beautiful Jungfrau region. It is a regional transport hub and has more tourist amenities. Planning day trip to other towns and destinations from Interlaken would be fairly easier than if you were to stay in Wengen, which is a lovely but fairly small mountain village. You can find more information about Wengen here: www.myswissalps.com/wengen

If you have an early flight to catch , I suggest spending the last day in Zurich or somewhere closer to the airport.

Regards,

Anna

Salmann
Salmann
4 posts
Sep 6, 2021 - 8:09 AM

Thanks a ton. So is it ok to stay two days in Interlaken or one day in Interlaken and another night somewhere else? I understand that all places are near-by so we can do a day trip to other locations.

pvonk
pvonk
275 posts
top member
Sep 6, 2021 - 11:52 AM in reply to Salmann

For me, I prefer not unpacking and packing each day. If you want to stay in Interlaken, then stay 2 night, other locations in the area are easy to get to. If you want to sample the Alps, skip Interlaken and choose Murren or Wengen. Murren is a bit more remote whereas Wengen is easier to reach other nearby towns.

Salmann
Salmann
4 posts
Sep 6, 2021 - 1:23 PM

That sounds great. I have booked 2 nights at Hotel Falken (Lucerne) and 2 nights at Hotel Merkur (Interlaken).

Please suggest me on how to book travel (train pass etc.) and whether all trains will be covered in one 5 day pass? I heard that there is some place (at the top) where one train goes and its a good experience.

Anna
Anna
1467 posts
top member &
Sep 6, 2021 - 2:10 PM in reply to Salmann

Hi Salmann,

If you don't fancy buying tickets for each trip, I suggest getting the Swiss Travel Pass. Consider getting the 3- or 4-days pass and combine this with the Saver Day Pass. Click on the links for more information about each pass and use the tabs to find a list of online resellers.

If it's your first time travelling with Swiss trains, you'll find plenty of practical information here: www.myswissalps.com/train

Hope this gets you started.

Regards,

Anna

Caoimhep55
Caoimhep55
3 posts
Sep 15, 2021 - 5:11 PM in reply to Anna

Hello,

I have a pretty similar trip to Salmann, but I’m wondering a lot about what are the best things to do with my days. I really want to make the most of it. Things and places we really want to see and do are,

Chapel bridge, a short boat trip, the old town in Lucerne,

Mount pilatus, a panoramic train, maybe two hikes that are not as difficult.

Jungfrau, lauterbrunnen, grindelwald, lake Zurich and some chocolate and cheese of course.

Our trip is as follows,

Landing in Zurich on the 11th November in the morning, we will be getting the train to Lucerne and staying in the city for two nights.

Then we travel to interlaken for two nights, and back to Zurich for the last night.

Do you think this is all possible to do in those days? Plus we are staying in November, and we are not sure what is open and closed that time of the year.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Caoimhe

Anna
Anna
1467 posts
top member &
Sep 15, 2021 - 5:56 PM in reply to Caoimhep55

Hi Caoimhe,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

Yes, I think it's possible to do all that in 5 days.

On your first day in Lucerne, I suggest taking a walk in the Old Town and explore this beautiful city. This short guide takes you to all the must-see sights including the Chapel Bridge: www.myswissalps.com/hiking/lucerne The rest of the day can be best spent going on a boat cruise on Lake Lucerne. Find a list cruise options here: www.myswissalps.com/boatlakelucerne Or you can also combine this with a trip to Mt Pilatus. The Golden Round Trip to Pilatus is not operational in November but you can still reach Pilatus by taking the train or bus to Kriens and then the cable car up. There a several easy hiking options you can do at the top. Details on how to get there here: www.myswissalps.com/pilatus

On the second day, perhaps a day trip to Titlis or Rigi? Or get on the Voralpen Express and enjoy a scenic train ride to St Gallen and back. You can find more sightseeing suggestions in and around Lucerne here: www.myswissalps.com/lucerne/activities

For your stay in Interlaken, maybe set aside one day for the trip up to Jungfraujoch and make a stopover in Lauterbrunnen/Grindelwald on the way back. Make the most of your second day in Interlaken exploring the areas around Lake Brienz or Lake Thun. Lots of suggestions here: www.myswissalps.com/interlaken/activities

For things to see and do in Zurich, this link provides lots of ideas: www.myswissalps.com/zurich/activities

I hope this will help you plan out your itinerary.

Regards,

Anna

Caoimhep55
Caoimhep55
3 posts
Sep 15, 2021 - 6:04 PM in reply to Anna

Thank you so much Anna. Do you know if any of the cable cars or panoramic trains would be closed during this time? Do you think I would have time for a trip on one?

Last modified on Sep 15, 2021 - 6:05 PM by Caoimhep55
Anna
Anna
1467 posts
top member &
Sep 15, 2021 - 6:21 PM in reply to Caoimhep55

Hi Caoimhe,

The cable car and gondola to Pilatus is operational from 6 Nov to 11 Dec (autumn season). The mountain railway to Jungfraujoch is operational all year round. You can find the operating times of the other cable cars and mountain railways in the Jungfrau region here: www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/plan-book/timetable/

Panoramic trains such as the Glacier Express, Bernina Express and the Golden Pass operate nearly all year round. You can probably do the Voralpen Express from Lucerne. Alternatively, take the Golden Pass to Interlaken and all the way to Montreux if you have time. Please click on the links for more details of each panoramic train.

Let us know if you need more info.

Regards,

Anna

Last modified on Sep 19, 2021 - 12:03 PM by Annika
Caoimhep55
Caoimhep55
3 posts
Sep 15, 2021 - 6:28 PM in reply to Anna

Thank you for the help and advice.

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2021