Switzerland trip Dec 5 – Dec 12 2021

• Shamanz
    Participant
    9 posts
    29 November 2021 at 1:30:00 #826329

Hi everyone, hope you are well. After I had to cancel my Swiss vacation in 2019 due to Covid, I’m sooo looking forward this weekend for the start of my Swiss trip! So I’m really praying hard that Singapore does not into Switzerland’s restricted list (at least till I’m safely back home).

1) We (3 ladies) are hoping to cover Mr Titlis, Jungfraujoch and Gornergrat, not skiing but just to enjoy the view and activities there. I know I need to see the webcam to check the weather forecast at those places the night before or on the day of travel. If the forecast is not sunny or clear, under what kind of “bad” weather conditions can we still go ahead and what is absolutely a no go?

2) I’ve read a few recent reviews from travellera who recommended using the Sunrise prepaid SIM card. Is this a good deal and is the network reliable? Can I still keep my own number while using this prepaid plan?

3) Is it worthwhile to visit Rheinfalll in any weather condition? We’re planning to visit right after we arrive in Zurich on Dec 5 (Sunday) morning, before moving on to Lucerne.

Hope you can give me some advice. Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Shroffchetan
    Participant
    255 posts
    29 November 2021 at 5:28:17 #937684

If on mountain tops if it is not sunny and cloudy there is no point going up and it is very expensive afair

There are some youtube videos where it was cloudy and the whole trip was a waste. Yes you can enjoy jorney

I think rheinfall visit is not dependent on weather

Anna
    6382 posts
    29 November 2021 at 13:02:17 #937685

Hi Shamanz,

It’s good to know you are going ahead with your trip. Hopefully you will not have to cancel again.

To answer your questions;

1. Yes, ideally you should check the mountain webcams and the weather forecast just before your trip. Avoid going if there’s any severe weather warning. Some practical tips can be found here: http://www.myswissalps.com/weather/winter

2.I have no personal experience using the Sunrise prepaid SIM card. But in my opinion, this is a good mobile service provider. You can find details about the prepaid package here: http://www.sunrise.ch/en/residential/prepaid/new-visitors-prepaid.html You can also find more options and information about other local mobile and SIM cards here: http://www.myswissalps.com/simcard

3. A visit to the Rhine Falls is certainly more fun when it’s bright and sunny but this excursion is possible in any weather.

Enjoy your trip!

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 November 2021 at 0:18:03 #937686

Regarding mountain top weather, there is no easy answer. It is perhaps obvious to say that if the forecast is cloudless all day it will be ‘go’. Unfortunately in other conditions it can be difficult to decide. By their very nature high mountains have a climate of their own and a mountain can be clear all day then suddenly clouds will form, and the other way round. So you can easily end up regretting your decision way or the other.

Rheinfall is fine; low altitude water features will be interesting in any weather.

Shamanz
    Participant
    9 posts
    30 November 2021 at 1:23:51 #937687

Thank you for your replies. I guess what’s more worrying right now is the Omicron strain that iis causing goverments scrambling into action. I also see Switzerland adding more countries daily to the restricted list. To be honest, I’m almost prepared for the worst case scenario (postpone my trip again) but still hoping for the best. Take care everyone.

• The thread ‘Switzerland trip Dec 5 – Dec 12 2021’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.