Switzerland trip in October -weather & maintenance

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2018 at 14:33:55 #816099

Hi, I have planned a trip to Switzerland from 17th to 23rd of October.. a brief itinerary below:

17th to 19th – Lucern

20th to 23rd- Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen & Murren

24th- train from Interlaken Ost to Paris..

I have a couple of queries:

1. Are cable cars closed during this time ? If yes plz mention dates.. I will be using cable car rides to Pilatus on 18th/19th

2. How is the general weather during this time-17th to 23rd? Does it rain?? Or is it Sunny?? Are most of the public means of transportation( trains, cable cars) operational??

Plz advice…

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2018 at 19:53:52 #885821

Hi Rohit88 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Generally speaking maintenance closures happen late October and November (as well as in the Spring).
    Mt. Pilatus’ cogwheel train is running until Nov.18. The cable cars are operating until Oct.22.

You can check the Swiss railways timetable for connections to any mountain top – if not running it will say “connection not found”. Train. connections run year-round. It is cable cars (generally) that need to be shut down for maintenance once or twice a year.

Weather is of course unpredictable. The weather is starting to turn cold and rainy by October generally but you can still have sunny days but mild temperatures. The mountain tops can start getting quite cold – between -2/3 to +10 if I had to guess. Be sure to check the weather the day before you go up a mountain to see if it is worthwhile (weather changes frequently on the mountain tops).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2018 at 20:13:59 #885822

Thank you so much for the info Lucas.. since we have already made a few bookings, we were a bit apprehensive about the weather (rainy spells) specifically and the gondola rides (since we have Murren and Wengen) in our itinerary. Are there any other alternatives to reach Wengen (other than cable cars) since we would probably be heading there on 22nd/23rd of Oct when the cable cars would be shut down..

also can you suggest me a few other picturesque landscapes/countrysides near Lauterbrunnen/Grindelwald which are worth a visit (hopefully on a sunny day) ? Am an avid photographer and sun is all I need to make this trip a memorable one.. plz advice.

Many Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2018 at 0:24:39 #885823

Hi Rohit,

Here are details about mountain transport in the Luzern and Jungfrau areas during your visit.

>> Switzerland from 17th to 23rd of October … 17th to 19th – Lucern

All dates inclusive

• Pilatus: The cableway from Kriens to Pilatus Kulm is operating until 21 October 2018, and the cogwheel train is operating until 18 Nov 2018.
    • Rigi: all modes of transport operating
    • Schwyz–Stoos funicular: operating
    • Stanserhorn funicular and CabriO cable car: operating
    • Titlis: operating

Boats on the Vierwaldstättersee (Lake Lucerne) will be operating to the autumn timetable until 21 October 2018 (then to a reduced winter timetable).

>> 20th to 23rd- Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen & Murren

All dates inclusive

• Gondola Grindelwald to First: operating until 28 Oct 2018
    • PostBus Grindelwald to Meiringen via the Grosse Scheidegg: operating until 21 Oct 2018
    • Lauterbrunnen-Grütschalp cable car: operating until 21 Oct 2018, then closed for maintenance 22 Oct to 9 Nov 2018. When it is closed, you can still get to Mürren via bus Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg then cable car Stechelberg to Mürren.
    • Bus Lauterbrunnen-Stechelberg: operates year round
    • Gondola Männlichen-Grindelwald: operates until 21 Oct 2018
    • Cable car Männlichen-Wengen: operates until 21 Oct 2018
    • Funicular Mürren to Allmendhubel: closed for maintenance 15 October until 14 December 2018
    • Cable car Stechelberg-Gimmelwald-Mürren-Schilthorn: operating
    • Train Wilderswil to Schynige Platte: operating until 28 Oct 2018

Trümmelbach Falls will be open

>> Are most of the public means of transportation( trains, cable cars) operational??

Trains between cities, towns and villages operate all year. Closures only apply to mountain transport. Closures are either for 4-6 weeks of maintenance in autumn and spring, or for the whole winter in cases where the tracks or roads are not cleared of snow during the winter.

>> Are there any other alternatives to reach Wengen (other than cable cars) since we would probably be heading there on 22nd/23rd of Oct when the cable cars would be shut down..

You reach Wengen by train from Interlaken Ost. The train runs year round. The cable car in Wengen goes up to the Männlichen (a mountain) – you do not need to use it to get access to Wengen village.

>> also can you suggest me a few other picturesque landscapes/countrysides near Lauterbrunnen/Grindelwald which are worth a visit

Please see here for further ideas:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2018 at 3:01:44 #885824

Thank you so so much Lucas for answering my queries in detail. Would also like to understand, which Pass would make sense for me(3 people travelling-all adults). I am not going to the top of Juangfrow and would mainly be covering Titlis, Pilatus, Mt. Rigi, Lake Thun & Brienz. First and all transfers from Zurich-Lucern-Interlaken-Grindelwald- Lauterbrunnen by train.

Thanks again!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2018 at 16:20:08 #885825

Hi Rohit,

The only pass that will cover all or most of those trips would be the Swiss Travel Pass. To know for sure though you’ll need to compare prices and passes here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/train/ticketspas ses/practical/choosera ilpass

• The thread ‘Switzerland trip in October -weather & maintenance’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.