Switzerland trip in end of May – planning help

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2018 at 13:44:59 #815929

Greetings,

I have a long post, sorry for that.

We are visiting Switzerland on 25th May for 5 days. Almost finalized the itinerary.

I will be staying in Grindelwald for all 6 nights. Needed few clarifications.

1. Pilatus – Golden trip tickets – how to buy tickets, can I buy at once for all the legs? at Alpnachstad or at Kriens. It is mentioned in Pilatus site that tickets can’t be bought online.
    2. How much time takes golden trip, apart from spending time in Pilatus.
    3. Jungfraujoch: What is the best way to book tickets after checking the weather conditions? At Grindelwald station or SBB. As I will be staying be Grindelwald, I thought of returning through Lauterbrunnen, but I am not sure, so can I buy return tickets at Jungfraujoch itself on same day? Hiking from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg/Trummelbac h-falls. Hiking route is same as bus/car route or is it different? How to go back to Lauterbrunnen from Stechelberg : bus/train? How can we return to Lauterbrunnen if we are tired midway : can we get bus/train? Golden pass line: As reservations not possible, Is it OK to buy tickets at Grindelwald or Interlaken. And return tickets at Montreux. And of Swiss Half fare travel pass. I thought of buying at http://www.happyrail.com.

If I keep print out of half fare card, can I buy train tickets at train stations or online like http://www.trainline.eu or SBB

~

Thanks

Santhosh

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2018 at 19:17:55 #885045

Hi Santhosh,

1. You can buy Pilatus tickets online or at Kriens or Alpnachstad without issue.
    2. You can use the timetable to plan the trip out – add about 2 hours at the top (average time)
    3. I’d buy at Grindelwald station once the weather looks promising
    4. Yes
    5. The hiking route to Stechelberg is described here. It follows along near the road yes. You can take a bus back from Stechelberg.
    6. Yes to buying tickets at Interlaken and/or Montreux for the Golden Pass line.
    7. Yes, you can buy the Swiss Half Fare Card with HappyRail. you can buy train tickets online as you note or at the station – whichever is easier for you.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 May 2018 at 13:15:40 #885046

Thanks Lucas,

One more thing, I read some where that trains to Brienzer Rothorn are not operating until June 2, Please conform this.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 May 2018 at 14:26:25 #885047

That is correct – you can see schedules on their website: https://brienz-rothorn-bahn.ch/timetable-prices/?lang=en

Also when looking to travel somewhere you can check the Swiss railways timetable. If it can’t find a connection to a mountain (connection not found) it typically means it isn’t running yet (check another date in the summer to see if you get a schedule to pop up.)

• The thread ‘Switzerland trip in end of May – planning help’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.