Geneva to Zurich 11 days by car - itinerary help

Geneva to Zurich 11 days by car - itinerary help

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Ahmed18
Ahmed18
4 posts
Apr 23, 2017 - 11:58 AM

Good Day Everyone,

I am planning to Visit Switzerland in September. It is my first time there and I would like to get your recommendations on my plan regarding the transportation and places to visit.

I will be visiting Paris, Switzerland and Milan on sequence. From Paris I will take the flight to Geneva Airport. I am planning to rent a car from there for the whole trip. The trip schedule will be:

- 3 Nights in Annecy (To Cover Geneva Lake Area, Visit Chamonix,Mont Blank and other areas like Lausanne, Vevey & Montreux)

- 4 Nights in Lauterbrunnen (To Cover Interlaken, Grindelwald, Wengen, Murren, Lake Brienz & Lake Thun, Blausee, Lungern and may be the city of Bern)

- 3 Nights in Engelberg or Zurich depending on hotel prices (To Cover Engelberg, Lucerne and Zurich)

- 1 Night in Lugano (To cover Lugano lake and rest before heading to Milan)

My last destination would be Lugano in order to return the car there and then take the train to Milan.

I am really looking forward to cover most of the areas. It would be very helpful for me to know if am staying enough period in each area. I think 11 Nights is sufficient time to cover Switzerland and enjoy it.

Also, I am not that sure about the weather condition at the first two weeks of September if it is usually good in these places. In addition to this I would really appreciate getting an idea about some prices like Gasoline (Or Diesel, if Diesel cars are used in Switzerland) and Popular Teleferiks (or Cable Cars) prices in main attractions.

I look forward to see your valuable comments.

Regards,

Ahmed

Lucas
Lucas
5516 posts
expert &
Apr 23, 2017 - 5:41 PM in reply to Ahmed18

Hi Ahmed,

I would first, highly recommend taking a train into Geneva or Zurich from Paris, and traveling around Switzerland by train as well. It is much easier and simpler than driving by car.
Have a look at our traveling by train vs. car information page.

If you do travel by train you can buy the Swiss Travel Pass for 15 days and be almost fully covered for all trips you take. No hassle with parking or gas etc.

As for September it is a great time to visit Swiss cities and indeed the mountains as well!

Geneva or Annecy are good options to cover Lake Geneva, perhaps have your last night in Montreux.

Lauterbrunnen is a good village base, Interlaken is better for train connections but less interesting as a city. You may want to cut down on trying to see all those towns you mentioned. You can find details on all those towns to help you choose here.

You can find details on main attractions in Switzerland and prices here (many are covered by Swiss Travel Pass if you decide to buy it).

Lucas

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
4486 posts
expert
Apr 24, 2017 - 1:26 AM in reply to Ahmed18

Hi Ahmed-

I'm going to be brief, and a bit abrupt. My apologies...busy times here.

Part 1 -

Why not stay in Switzerland, around the shores of Lake Geneva.

Perhaps Montreux:

www.myswissalps.com/mo ntreux

Part 2-

In September,. Wengen and Mürren are great. I like Wengen:

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

Part 3-

Why not stay in Luzern?

www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

Better rail connections. Great surroundings.

4-

Lugano is fine. My Swiss friends love it. I prefer Locarno. Personal choice.

There is excellent train service from Luzern or Zürich to Milano.

www.sbb.ch/en/buying/p ages/fahrplan/fahrplan .xhtml?suche=true&ab=true&lan guage=en&vias=&webshop PreviewMode=inactive&v on=Luzern&nach=Milano+ Centrale&viaField1=&da tum=Wed%2C+14.06.2017& zeit=08%3A00

You don't need Lugano.

Slowpoke

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018