How to explore Switzerland from La Tzoumaz

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 June 2018 at 18:05:22 #816947

We are a family of 5 adults, 1 teenager, and a 2 year old traveling from Bellagio, Italy to La Tzoumaz, Switzerland in July. We are in La Tzoumaz July 15-20 and then going to Milan July 20. We would like to visit Bern, Lucerne, and Lauterbrunnen during our stay in La Tzoumaz if they are convenient from La Tzoumaz by train. Unfortunately I did not realize at times of booking our rental home in La Tzoumaz that there is no train station there.

Questions: what is the best train tickets option for this itinerary? How would I purchase the tickets for the Italy legs if I get the sis’s travel pass? Are Bern/Lucerne/Lauterbrunnen good day trips from La Tzoumaz given its location and train access?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2018 at 3:41:04 #889671

Hi Ross, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

>> We are in La Tzoumaz July 15-20 and then going to Milan July 20. We would like to visit Bern, Lucerne, and Lauterbrunnen during our stay in La Tzoumaz if they are convenient from La Tzoumaz by train.

La Tzoumaz is a remote ski resort and best suited for skiing or hiking in the immediate area (according to the season), rather than visiting other parts of Switzerland.

You get there as follows:

• Train to Riddes
    • 8 minute walk to cable car valley station. If you have any slower-than-average walkers in your party, you might consider allowing more time for this walk to avoid missing the last cable car of the day.
    • Cable car to Isérables
    • Bus to La Tzoumaz

From Riddes cable car valley station to La Tzoumaz takes 30-40 minutes. The last cable car of the day to connect with the bus at Isérables leaves Riddes TRI (cable car valley station) as follows:

• Sat, Sun – 17:10
    • Mon-Fri – 18:10

So, wherever you go, you will need to be back at the cable car valley station in time to catch the last cable car.

Journey times to the places you mentioned visiting would be:

• Bern about 2.5 hours each way
    • Luzern/Lucerne about 3.75 hours each way
    • Lauterbrunnen about 3.25 hours each way

Morning connections down to the station at Riddes leave the La Tzoumaz, centre bus stop as follows:

• Sat, Sun – 9:18, 12:18
    • Mon-Fri – 6:48, 7:48, 8:44 and 12:00.

>> Questions: what is the best train tickets option for this itinerary?

Before this question can be answered, you need to plan a detailed day-by-day itinerary, including all trains, buses, boats and cable cars you intend to use, and find out (from the Swiss Timetable) how much they cost, and compare that with the discounts you would get with a Swiss Travel Pass, Swiss Half Fare Card etc. There is information and a spreadsheet here to help you:

http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

>> How would I purchase the tickets for the Italy legs if I get the sis’s travel pass?

Please see here:

http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/italy

>> Are Bern/Lucerne/Lauterbrunnen good day trips from La Tzoumaz given its location and train access?

Not really, due to long travel times and limited transport options from Riddes up to La Tzoumaz. I would consult a map, and the Swiss Timetable, to find out about travel times to destinations closer to La Tzoumaz, such as the area around Lac Léman (Lake Geneva):

http://www.myswissalps.com/so uthwestswitzerland

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

(Use the one on the right with the red SBB logo.)

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2018 at 5:40:12 #889672

Hi Ross,

Following Alpenrose’s excellent advice, I’d really focus on just exploring Southwest Switzerland and the Valais region https://www.myswissalp s.com/valais .

Perhaps as far as Kandersteg and Lake Oeschinen as well.

No reason to stay in one corner of Switzerland and spend all that time on a train to go to the opposite corner of the country. There is a lot of great things to see and do closer to La Tzoumaz.

For tickets to Italy, have a look here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/traintickets/ita ly

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2018 at 11:41:01 #889673

Hi Ross,

We hired a car from Zurich and drove to La Tzoumaz in the first week of June. We were there for 5 days and we absolutely thought a car was essential to get around. We were there for a wedding so there was plenty of catching up to do with other family members who had all rented chalets in different parts of La Tzoumaz and all of us had rented cars in order to get around. Maybe hiking and long walks are what you plan to be doing but if not, it may be worth considering.

As Alpenrose stated, we just found it too tiresome with train, cablecar and bus to get anywhere.

Frm La Tzoumaz, we drove to Lake Como and returned the car to Lugano, then hopped on the train to Venice.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2018 at 12:02:53 #889674

Thank you all for the great information! This was so helpful and made me feel less stressed:)

We have decided to rent a van for our time in La Tzoumaz.

Do you think the trips to Bern, Lucerne, and Lauterbrunnen will be easier? I would love to explore the southwest region also. Any recommendations on where in addition to Lake Geneva area?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2018 at 12:24:17 #889675

It will be easier to get out of La Tzoumaz with a car.Travel times by car and train are similar once you get to a larger town, like Martigny.

Links for popular towns and mountains to visit in southwest Switzerland and the Valais region can be found in my and Alpenrose’s previous links.

Be sure to use the search box on our website to look for previous trip reports to different areas around the country as well.

• The thread ‘How to explore Switzerland from La Tzoumaz’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.