Switzerland trip during Christmas vacation

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 November 2018 at 19:13:28 #818972

Hi,

I live in Amsterdam, Netherlands. I have seen many posts on the blog but I cannot get to a conclusion on my doubts.

I have already planned my trip for two (me and my wife) from 21st Dec onwards until 30th Dec as below:

1. Geneva — 1 night
    2. Zermatt — 2 nights
    3. Interlaken — 1 night
    4. Engelberg — 2 nights
    5. Lucerne — 2 nights
    6. Zurich — 1 night

I have attached a detailed plan if required.

Flight ticket to Geneva and from Zurich and hotels are already booked so I cannot change the plan.

This would be our first trip together after. But now I am having doubts whether is it correct time to travel there because of following reasons:

1. Will I be able to visit mountain peaks? For example, I was not able to book a cable car ticket in advance as those dates for Titlis. Does it mean it could be closed and therefore other peaks too like in Interlaken and Lucerne?
    2. How practical it would be to roam around as temperature will be really low. Whats arrangments should we make. For example type shoes and other accessories.
    3. We don’t know Sking.
    4. I presume Daylight will be 8 hours at least. If not are we going to end up spending most of our time in hotels itself?
    5. Swiss Travel Pass Consecutive suits my travel because of convenience as I don’t have to buy tickets every time and is flexible so I will get those. But I read it somewhere that trains can remain canceled. Now I am worried if I will be able to reach my places after having these passes.
    6. I Have not included ant panoramic trains in the plan but does any of those falls in my trajectory. Then maybe I could add them.
    7. Please suggest Tips to make this trip easier and if any challenge which I cannot foresee as of now but should be prepared for?

Regards,

Chetan Sharma

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 November 2018 at 9:50:15 #899235

Hi Chetan and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. Yes you can visit most mountains (a few don’t operate in the winter). You can’t reserve tickets on cable cars (though you buy tickets ahead of time). Find the mountain you are looking at here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ac tivities/naturalsites/ mountains then click the route tab to see if it is closed when you are there.
    2. I would have clothes and shoes appropriate for temperatures under 5 degrees. If you dress properly you can roam around all day I think. But it depends on how the cold affects you. 🙂
    3. ok. But there are still things to do on the mountain tops for non-skiers (if that is what you were getting at).
    4. Google will give sunset times. It will be the same as the Netherlands give or take 10 minutes. No reason to stay in the hotel after sunset.
    5. Cancellations can happen due to mechanical issues, or extreme snow conditions but it doesn’t happen very often (less than the Netherlands I would bet). You can buy the Swiss Travel Pass online and have it emailed to you to print at home (very convenient, saving time upon arrival and giving you an electronic back up)http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price
    6. You could include parts of the Golden Pass trip. See more details here: http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass/gettingthere. I’d travel from Zermatt to Interlaken via Kandersteg (not a panoramic train but very scenic. Use the timetable here to plan out the trips: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable
    7. I think the most important thing to pack warm clothes and be familiar with the Swiss railways timetable to plan out your trip and see up to date information if any delays etc.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 November 2018 at 18:23:45 #899236

Thanks Lucas!!

Things sound good now. Links shared by you contains all the information.

Also, you are right regarding train cancellation in the Netherlands :p

Often trains get canceled here and that too during peak hours.

I have one last question. What are my options for making payments in Switzerland? I do not have a credit card. I have Maestro debit card in euros.

Regards,

Chetan Sharma

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 November 2018 at 19:23:31 #899237

Hi Chetan,

My Dutch Maestro debit card works perfectly in Switzerland. Some smaller shops will only accept cash in Swiss francs. A bit of cash is a good backup as well.

http://www.myswissalps.com/sw issfranc

• The thread ‘Switzerland trip during Christmas vacation’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.