Taking Cable Cars with Swiss Travel Pass

• rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    30 April 2017 at 4:52:59 #811611

Hi Folks,

I will be travelling around Switzerland late May early June using Swiss Travel Pass and trusty SBB Mobile App. Itinerary is all sorted but just wanting to confirm something.

I understand that where cable cars are shown on the validity map as dotted lines, and therefore discounted, I need to buy a ticket prior to taking the trip.

If I want to travel on a cable cars that are fully covered by STP (eg Stechelberg-Gimmelwald-Mürren and Grütschalp – Lauterbrunnen) do I just wave my STP to get onboard? Is using cable cars just the same as taking trains in that respect?

So if I set off from Lauterbrunnen I can do the Stechelberg-Gimmelwald-Mürren – Grütschalp – Lauterbrunnen loop for free? If when I get to Mürren the weather looks nice and sunny and it looks like it is worth taking a look up top at Schilthorn I can just buy a ticket there.

Unfortunately I won’t be able to take the Allmendhubel Funicular as I just discovered it is out of action (extended maintenance) until 16 June this year. Just as a matter of interest is it covered by the STP? It doesn’t appear on the validity map.

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2017 at 6:54:34 #862515

>> If I want to travel on a cable cars that are fully covered by STP (eg Stechelberg-Gimmelwald-Mürren and Grütschalp – Lauterbrunnen) do I just wave my STP to get onboard? Is using cable cars just the same as taking trains in that respect?

For cable cars, you usually need to go through a barrier gate, which is released by inserting a ticket that can be read electronically. This means presenting your Swiss Travel Pass at the ticket office to get a free or discounted (as appropriate) ticket for the barrier gate.

I’m pretty sure that is the case with the Stechelberg-Gimmelwald-Mürren cable car, as I remember feeling relieved that I would not have to join the ticket queue, when I saw how long it was. I headed straight for the cable car, but was turned back at the barrier gate and had to join the queue anyway, to get a ticket for the barrier gate 🙁

I’m not so sure about the Lauterbrunnen-Grütschalp cable car, as I don’t recall getting a barrier ticket for that one, although there are definitely barrier gates at the bottom, if not the top as well.

In any case, there will be signs in English, so just keep an eye out for them.

>> So if I set off from Lauterbrunnen I can do the Stechelberg-Gimmelwald-Mürren – Grütschalp – Lauterbrunnen loop for free?

Yes, including the bus from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg if you decide not to walk.

>> If when I get to Mürren the weather looks nice and sunny and it looks like it is worth taking a look up top at Schilthorn I can just buy a ticket there.

Yes, but if it’s busy, that means joining another queue. You could check the Schilthorn webcam before leaving your accommodation/Lauterbrunnen/Stechelberg, and get your ticket for the Schilthorn at Stechelberg if it looks clear on top. If it is clear, I would go up straight away, in case the clouds come in later.

http://schilthorn.ch/en/Info/Schilthorn_Live/Livecams

>> Unfortunately I won’t be able to take the Allmendhubel Funicular as I just discovered it is out of action (extended maintenance) until 16 June this year. Just as a matter of interest is it covered by the STP? It doesn’t appear on the validity map.

Yes, the Swiss Travel Pass gets you a 50% discount. It is on the Swiss Travel Pass validity map, but not easy to spot, as it is just a very short track, and just appears as a black circle (see attached picture), so you can’t tell whether it is free or discounted. However, fares for the Allmendhubel funicular with the Swiss Travel Pass can be confirmed on the Schilthorn web site

http://schilthorn.ch/en/Angebot/Timetable__Tariffs/Price_Single_tickets

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    30 April 2017 at 7:10:07 #862516

Hi Alpenrsose,

Thanks so much for the detailed response. I’m glad I asked the question.

I had a look at the Schilthorn Live Cam for today and it looks like a fantastic clear-blu sky day. Hope I strike it lucky.

Cheers,

Rocky

ps I wasn’t planning on walking. Leave that to the young folk.

• The thread ‘Taking Cable Cars with Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.