Taxi from Basel train station to river cruise pier

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2018 at 11:25:04 #814302

Trying to decide if we should take a taxi or the local bus and walk the remaining distance. Has anyone taken a taxi or bus and walked from the Basel Train Station to the River Cruise Pier? I have heard that you can take a bus part of the way but then need to walk approx. 15 mins through a less desirable area to where the boats are docked. Is it safe to do that? I know there are two different piers on each side of the river and unfortunately we won’t know until 24 hrs before which our boat will be at. Approximately how much would a taxi cost? Also is there anything that is a must see in Basel? We are only going to be there for about 4 or 5 hours so thought we could just do a walking tour but would love to hear any other suggestions. Thanks for your help.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 February 2018 at 22:23:35 #875953

Hi Linda –

<<“Also is there anything that is a must see in Basel?”>>

When will you be there?

http://www.myswissalps.com/ba sel

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2018 at 23:10:17 #875954

Thanks Slowpoke for the link.

We will be in Basel on Monday April 23rd.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2018 at 8:15:04 #875955

Hi Linda

A 15-minute walk with luggage through an unattractive area will feel like 30 min 😉

I would bite the bullet and get a taxi from the closest major station, which will probably be Basel Bad/Badischer Bahnhof.

Official taxi tariffs are detailed here:

http://www.33ertaxi.ch/tarif-und-zahlung/offizieller-taxitarif/

• Grundtaxe pro Fahrt 6.00 (What I would call a flagfall, or a fixed amount that will be on the meter before you start your trip, and to which all other charges will be additional)
    • Bestellzuschlag pro Fahrt 2.80 (booking fee)
    • Taxe 1 pro km 3.80 (rate per km Monday-Saturday 06:00-20:00)
    • Taxe 2 pro km 4.30 (rate per km Monday-Saturday 20:00-06:00, Sundays and Public Holidays)
    • Wartezeit pro Minute 1.17 (waiting time rate per minute)

Alle Preise verstehen sich in CHF inklusive 7.70% MWST (all prices are VAT inclusive)

According to Google Maps, the distance from Basel Bad station to the Dreiländereck (one of the possible docks) is 3km.

So for a 3 km trip based on the above rates for Monday before 8pm, I would estimate CHF 20-25.

Alpenrose

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 February 2018 at 8:22:24 #875956

<<“So for a 3 km trip based on the above rates for Monday before 8pm, I would estimate CHF 20-25.”>>

Hi Alpenrose –

Indeed, taxis in Switzerland are expensive.

The luggage makes it compelling to take the taxi.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 February 2018 at 8:46:20 #875957

Hi Linda –

In late April, you may be lucky and have a beautiful Spring day. The altitude is low eneough that Winter will be well past, but Spring really takes hold in May.

Probably, the Tinguely water sculpture ( fountain, German Brunnen)) will have been started up by then, after Winter shutdown.

http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-us/tinguely-fountain-basel.html

Half a km – 10 minutes from the SBB Basel station on foot, and worth a detour.

http://www.google.com/maps/pl ace/Tinguely+Brunnen/@ 47.550391,7.5890237,16 65m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5! 3m4!1s0x0:0x462d08756e 4bb037!8m2!3d47.553692 9!4d7.5906116

Near the tram-stop “Basel Bankverein.”

Hmnnn. I tried to find out if it is seasonal, but couldn’t. It is hard to believe that they’d run it in freezing weather, but it give assurance that it will be operating in late April.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 February 2018 at 13:06:00 #875958

Slowpoke & Alpenrose666

Thank you so much for all the great information this is extremely helpful. If our boat is docked at the Dreilandereck dock we will take a taxi but it looks like if it is docked at St. Johann’s dock it would be an easy tram ride on the #11 to St. Johanns -Tor and then a quick 2 min walk on Johanns-Ring to the pier. Tinguely Brunnen really looks worth seeing so I will add it to our itinerary. Thanks again..

• The thread ‘Taxi from Basel train station to river cruise pier’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.