Zermatt to Lugano with Swiss Travel Pass & ticket?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2019 at 13:55:48 #822884

I am traveling from on 16.8.2019 from Zermatt to Lugano.

I have a Swiss Pass, so I did not know if this was necessary , but I ordered tickets on the SBB ticket shop online.

Question:

1.) Should I actually receive tickets or is this not necessary?

2.) The timetable online says the train leaves at 8:13 but my order ticket says 8:02 ? (different time?) Which is correct departure time?

The route online is below:

08:13 Zermatt, Platform 5

09:37 Brig Bahnhofplatz, Platform 14

then I must change platform to :

09:44Brig, Platform 6

3.) Is this enough time to change platforms with large pieces of luggage?

I am not familiar with any train stations and often there seems to be only minutes between arrivals and departures on different platforms. Is there somewhere I can familiar myself with the logistics of different stations?

4.) Lastly, there is “construction” indicated below on this route.

Does this effect my travel?

S 50/S 10 (Bellinzona – Chiasso) Construction work: Capolago-Riva S. Vitale – Mendrisio. Construction work: Between Capolago-Riva S. Vitale and Mendrisio, engineering work is in progress More information

Thank you for your help.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    16 July 2019 at 14:26:46 #917938

Hi Tbone1311,

Note that the title field is not to enter your nickname, but to provide a meaningful title to the thread you’re about to write. I will change it for you. A relevant title helps forum members and moderators recognize what your question is about.

1) I assume you have a Swiss Travel Pass, not a SwissPass, which is something different. If so, you do not need tickets, unless you travel via non-covered areas in Italy. I would recommend to travel via Domodossola and Locarno (Centovalli line). If you purchased tickets for Switzerland you should try and get a refund. Please see here to learn how the Swiss Travel Pass works: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/howtouse.

2) 3) You can find the correct departure times and instructions about tight connection times here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable. Your ticket might be for a different connection. 8:13 seems ok to me.

4) My suggested route does not pass the construction site, although train times might be slightly affected anyway. The timetable shows updated times though, so it’s not really making your trip much different.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2019 at 14:53:52 #917939

Thanks for input.

How do I find information/timetable for the “Domodossola and Locarno (Centovalli line)”? When I use my SBB Mobile app and the standard timetable, I can not find this route?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2019 at 15:09:29 #917940

Using the site you listed above http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable, it takes me to the HappyRail website. Is this correct?

But would you recommend the “Domodossola and Locarno (Centovalli line) which have four changes and takes 5h:21m while the one I mentioned above only takes 4h:41m and has two stops? Is it because of the “construction”?

Friday, 16 August

08:13Zermatt

09:37Brig Bahnhofplatz

R 224

7m

09:44Brig

11:02Gallarate

EC 37

43m

11:45Gallarate

12:54Lugano

R 25568

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2019 at 19:34:34 #917941

Arno, sorry to not use the title of thread correctly.

Anyway may I ask a question why you would consider the Centovalli line a better option?

Is it because the transfers allow more time,

is it more scenic,

Or because no construction.

The other route only has two stops and arrived much earlier in Lugano.

Please advise

Arno
    15471 posts
    16 July 2019 at 20:24:53 #917942

Hi Tbone1311,

The route I suggested is more scenic and completely covered with the Swiss Travel Pass (see the Centovalli link in my previous post). Either option is fine, whichever you prefer. The construction site doesn’t play a significant role here I think.

The page http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable offers a basic and an advanced timetable, both showing the same train schedules.

• The thread ‘Zermatt to Lugano with Swiss Travel Pass & ticket?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.