Which VoIP app to use in Switzerland?

• jackdebear
    Participant
    82 posts
    31 August 2019 at 12:46:11 #823656

~ On previous trips to Switzerland I have invested in a prepaid sim from Swisscom. Natel EasySmart. Those stays have always been in the range of 6 weeks or more and it made sense. The card was economical and useful. This time I expect to be less than 3 weeks in the coverage area so I’m not going to bother. Also they have changed the terms so it’s not such a good deal anymore.

~ I’m Canadian and at home I use a voip app. With it I can make a local, free, call to anywhere in Canada from any wifi connexion anywhere in the world. However, if I want to call a hotel in the next valley in Switzerland it’s like I’m calling long distance from Canada.

~ My question is: is there an voip app that will let me make local calls within Switzerland? Skype sorta works but they made a mess of the app in the latest version and I prefer to stay away from it.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    31 August 2019 at 19:05:50 #921318

There is Viber. My past and limited experience with it was not good. It still exists, and might be what you are looking for.

jackdebear
    Participant
    82 posts
    31 August 2019 at 19:14:04 #921319

I tried Viber once. Actually I didn’t try it because it asked for and incredble list of permissions. Way over the top.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    31 August 2019 at 20:18:38 #921320

If it’s free you are the product.

< if I want to call a hotel in the next valley in Switzerland it’s like I’m calling long distance from Canada.. >

True, but in the end, considering everything, it may be the best solution.

I have also used an old mobile phone, not simlocked, with a OneSimCard. You get a number actually based in one of the Baltic countries. Cheap when you call, not so nice for callers when you are called. For your three-week stay, we are talking maybe of 12 local calls altogether, you are not even sure you are saving any money compared to long-distance calls from Canada.

You surely know that WhatsApp works in Switzerland, but that might not be what you are looking for.

jackdebear
    Participant
    82 posts
    31 August 2019 at 20:27:05 #921321

Never used Whatsap. If you are ever traveling in Canada check out Fongo. Free unlimited and an incoming number.

• The thread ‘Which VoIP app to use in Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.