Which VoIP app to use in Switzerland?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
jackdebear
jackdebear
75 posts
Aug 31, 2019 - 12:46 PM

~ On previous trips to Switzerland I have invested in a prepaid sim from Swisscom. Natel EasySmart. Those stays have always been in the range of 6 weeks or more and it made sense. The card was economical and useful. This time I expect to be less than 3 weeks in the coverage area so I'm not going to bother. Also they have changed the terms so it's not such a good deal anymore.

~ I'm Canadian and at home I use a voip app. With it I can make a local, free, call to anywhere in Canada from any wifi connexion anywhere in the world. However, if I want to call a hotel in the next valley in Switzerland it's like I'm calling long distance from Canada.

~ My question is: is there an voip app that will let me make local calls within Switzerland? Skype sorta works but they made a mess of the app in the latest version and I prefer to stay away from it.

Snowman
Snowman
649 posts
top member
Aug 31, 2019 - 7:05 PM in reply to jackdebear

There is Viber. My past and limited experience with it was not good. It still exists, and might be what you are looking for.

jackdebear
jackdebear
75 posts
Aug 31, 2019 - 7:14 PM in reply to Snowman

I tried Viber once. Actually I didn't try it because it asked for and incredble list of permissions. Way over the top.

Snowman
Snowman
649 posts
top member
Aug 31, 2019 - 8:18 PM in reply to jackdebear

If it's free you are the product.

< if I want to call a hotel in the next valley in Switzerland it's like I'm calling long distance from Canada.. >

True, but in the end, considering everything, it may be the best solution.

I have also used an old mobile phone, not simlocked, with a OneSimCard. You get a number actually based in one of the Baltic countries. Cheap when you call, not so nice for callers when you are called. For your three-week stay, we are talking maybe of 12 local calls altogether, you are not even sure you are saving any money compared to long-distance calls from Canada.

You surely know that WhatsApp works in Switzerland, but that might not be what you are looking for.

jackdebear
jackdebear
75 posts
Aug 31, 2019 - 8:27 PM

Never used Whatsap. If you are ever traveling in Canada check out Fongo. Free unlimited and an incoming number.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019