Free 2-day Tell Pass for 4 full days – tips?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2016 at 15:18:40 #808307

Hi

I just booked a hotel that provides a two day Tell Pass in the Lucerne Region. We are actually staying for 5 nights arriving in Basel and heading to Lucerne on March 23. We won’t arrive into Lucerne until the afternoon and will leave in the morning of the March 28. This gives us 4 full days in the Lucerne region. I am wondering if it is wise to buy another Tell Pass for two days and if it can be bought for the trip from Basel to Lucerne and then use the two day free pass on the last two days of our stay? Just trying to figure the cheapest options for transportation for the days we do not have the free pass.

thank you!

Lynn

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    21 January 2016 at 19:43:46 #847893

Hi Lynn, welcome to MySwissAlps!

If you plan to travel quite intensively in the Lake Lucerne region on 4 all days of your stay, then yes, it makes sense to buy an additional 2 day Tell Pass. It’s a very easy and flexible way of traveling, as it allows you to hop on and off trains, buses, boats and cable cars whenever and wherever you like, without having to buy additional tickets.

In this scenario, you will have to get regular tickets for Basel-Lucerne and back (CHF 33,- per person and single journey) on your arrival and departure days. You may try if the SBB issues supersaver tickets for this route and for March 23 and 28. If so, you’ll save some money. Do mind that supersaver tickets require you to travel in specific trains, so you can’t miss out on your train in that case.

Another option would be to get Swiss Half Fare Cards. They’ll provide a 50% discount on all trips. As it’s valid during one month, it will get you discounted trips between Basel and Lucerne and discounts for the remaining 2 days of your stay, not covered by your hotel’s Tell Pass. You’ll have to buy tickets for each trip, so it’s less flexible then getting an additional Tell Pass.

If you want to make absolutely sure which pass option is most economical, you should first finalize your plans and include all details you can think of, and then make calculations as explained here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 January 2016 at 11:33:55 #847894

Thank you Annika! This info was very helpful and I am going to figure out an itinerary and calculate it to see my best options!

• The thread ‘Free 2-day Tell Pass for 4 full days – tips?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.