Tell Pass vs Swiss Travel Pass 5 days Lucerne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2018 at 11:10:06 #816642

Hi everyone. Thank you for the wonderful posts on this forum . My wife and I (both seniors)will be traveling to Switzerland for 6 days in July . We will arrive at Zurich and spend one whole day and move to Lucerne for the next 5 days . I was thinking of buying the 24 H Zurich all zones pass for the first day and the Tell pass for the remaining 5 days . Titles and Pilatus are totally free and so are some panoramic trains . However, With this I understand we will get no discount for Jungfraujoch. Will some experts on this forum put an end to my confusion and tell me whether this combination will be better and more economical than the STP . With the latter I will have to pay for Totlis, Pilatus and get 25%off on Jungfraujoch . Thank you very much for coming to my aid and helping me with your expert advice . Cheers !

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2018 at 17:50:42 #888272

Hi Specky48 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

No one can know which pass is best until you check ticket prices for all trips you make around Switzerland and compare them to varying rail passes. IE is Jungfraujoch the only excursion you will make outside the area of validity for the Tell Pass? If so, I would guess that the Tell Pass will work in your favour.

In the end, you need to read through our page on how to choose the best rail pass below. There is a spreadsheet to help you with the math and compare rail passes and their various discounts. https://www.myswissalp s.com/train/ticketspas ses/practical/choosera ilpass

You can see what the Tell Pass covers here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/tellpass/validit y
    and the Swiss Travel Pass here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ validity

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2018 at 22:39:02 #888273

Regional passes are just that – regional. The Tell Pass is the pass covering the ‘cradle of Switzerland’ area aka the four forest cantons based on the Vierwaldstättersee (generally but geographically incorrectly dubbed ‘Lake Luzern’ in English parlance).

You can’t expect the Tell pass to cover Jungfraujoch because that is in a completely different region – the Bernese Oberland, which has its own regional pass. https://www.myswissalp s.com/regionalpassbern eseoberland

If you want to cover more than one region, then you have the choice to buy a national tourist travel pass (ie Swiss Travel Pass)

The Jungfraujoch trip is very expensive. I personally don’t think it is worth it. The train spends a lot of time inside the mountain, and if the weather changes quickly, the top can be a dissapointment.

Personally I would enjoy the four cantons area with a Tell pass and leave the Bernese Oberland to a separate trip.

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    15 June 2018 at 3:26:42 #888274

I endorse the comment of 1960man.

Stick to either the Tellpass area and have a wonderful time. You could probably have only one “base”. That would ease any issues with packing, etc.

It seems that many people try to do too much in a short time. And especially so if one is a “senior”.

All the resources are on this wonderful site.

Enjoy your travels!

Debra
    Participant
    156 posts
    15 June 2018 at 16:16:52 #888275

I also vote for the Tell Pass. The lifts and cables are all included not just 50% off as with the STP plus the Tell pass is cheaper. Titlis will be free with the Tell and it is expensive.

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    15 June 2018 at 23:58:05 #888276

Just to clarify; regular prices such as Titlis are expensive. Since many of the lifts and cableways are free with the Tell Pass very good value can be obtained.

• The thread ‘Tell Pass vs Swiss Travel Pass 5 days Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.