Tell-Pass less known lines not to be missed

• Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    30 December 2018 at 17:53:52 #819311

I am planning a 10 day TellPass itinerary for late August 2019. The base for my partner and I will be Brunnen.

The main reason I for my posting is to seek thoughts and comments from fellow list members on “lines” within the Tell pass area “not to be missed” – particularly the lesser known ones that may not often be visited by people on this board.

I consider a “line” to be anything in the Swiss timetable regardless of mode.

We arrive at Zurich Airport and will take the regular train to Brunnen. The Tellpass itinerary will commence the following day.

What is the best ticket option from Zurich Airport to Brunnen? And on the return to Zurich Hbf (the day after the Tellpass period ends)?

As others may have gathered, I am a seasoned traveller with a good knowledge of Switzerland but I would really appreciate the thoughts of others.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    30 December 2018 at 19:59:14 #901095

A 12-Zone 3-hour ZVV Ticket would be your best bet for getting to Brunnen and back to Zurich. Hard to beat CHF29.20! 🤓

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    30 December 2018 at 20:13:49 #901096

Thanks rockoyster

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 December 2018 at 0:58:21 #901097

For a start, all trains from Zurich to Brunnen will be going via Immensee (the west side of the Zugersee), so that may be new for some travellers. This is due to a major upgrade on one of the last ‘old fashioned’ main line railway lines in Switzerland which is still single track through Walchwil on the East side of the Zugersee.

For less known lines:

Sonnenbergbahn

Treib – Seelisberg

Meiringen – Innertkirchen

Klausenpass (Postbus)

Various less known cable car lines, eg:

Lungern – Turren

Spiringen – Ratzi; Bürglen – Ruogig (little known cable cars) off the Klausenpass road

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    31 December 2018 at 4:17:01 #901098

Thanks 1960 man; exactly what I was looking for!

Have done Meiringen – Innertkirchen previously but the others are new.

Gunzel (a 1950 man)

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    31 December 2018 at 14:58:58 #901099

G’Day Gunzel –

1960sman beat me to the Treib Seelisberg Bahn. 😉

We have stayed in Seelisberg a few times, and enjoyed it, but I did not suggest it for you because access to the rest of the rail network takes a while.

If you fell like a bit of a walk incorporating the TSB

be useful:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/the-swiss-path-and-southern-lake-lucerne

Although not a lesser known service, the new funicular from Kehsriten to Bürgenstock, accessed by lake boat, followed by a walk on the Felsenweg to Hammetschwand. incorporting a ride on the outdoor elevator ( lift) and lunch up top is enjoyable.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    31 December 2018 at 15:36:52 #901100

Both 1960sman and I have recommended this book to others. If you don’t have it already. It is very useful for finding what to see along various lines, and includes a breif history of each lin, as well as the gauge:

Switzerland, a guide to exploring the country by public transportation, edition 6.

Author Anthony Lambert ISBN 97878477 046 4

There are digital versions as well.

Slowpoke

PS – too bad that you will not reach the Ostschweiz, where you could ride the only 1.2meter gauge line in Switzerland, the Rheineck-Walzenhausen line.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 December 2018 at 17:52:39 #901101

Hi Gunzel

Not sure how easy it is to get to Zug from your base but we have been there twice in recent years.The first time to take a cruise on Zugersee which we enjoyed very much – (be warned the only food on offer was a rather expensive full lunch but you could take your own packed lunch and augment it with a slice of the local delicacy – cherry tart- purchased from a kiosk near the boat station). The second time we took a bus to the funicular up to Zugerberg (free ride with STP) where there are several trails to choose from and the restaurant by the top of the funicular is excellent.

Maggie

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    31 December 2018 at 19:55:38 #901102

Great stuff Slowpoke and maggienorswell; thank you.

Slowpoke will be pleased to know I incorporated the RhW into an amazing itinerary in 2013 using the Ostwind day pass (something else rarely mentioned on this forum?). My partner and I were based at Winterthur.

Winterthur-Frauenfeld-Wil-Gossau-Wasserauen-Gais-Alstatten Stadt-Heerbrugg (bus)-Heiden-Rheineck (bus)-Walzenhausen-Rheineck-Rorschach-Roeschach Hafen-Heiden-Trogen (bus)-St Gallen-Winterthur.

Took some preparation but a great day with a lovely dinner and a fast train ride from St Gallen to Winterthur on which the train conductor (in a very friendly manner) reminded us that out ticket expired there.

But I digress and I’ve wandered off topic from the TellPass question.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 January 2019 at 0:02:22 #901103

Rheineck – Walzenhausen also unique in having only one vehicle (which even used to be unnumbered)

To get back onto topic, Burgenstock is a bit of an eyesore in my opinion

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 January 2019 at 1:01:51 #901104

<<“This is due to a major upgrade on one of the last ‘old fashioned’ main

line railway lines in Switzerland which is still single track through

Walchwil on the East side of the Zugersee.”>

And, subject to landslides. ;-(

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 January 2019 at 1:05:40 #901105

<<“Rheineck – Walzenhausen also unique in having only one vehicle (which even used to be unnumbered)”>>

As noted on my image,

😉

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 January 2019 at 1:07:36 #901106

<<“To get back onto topic, Burgenstock is a bit of an eyesore in my opinion”>>

The Quatari money that funded the new place doesn’t care, as far as I can tell. 😉

And, you can enjoy Hammeschwand, even though they have put a roof on the eating area.

;-(

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Tell-Pass less known lines not to be missed’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.