Which Tell Pass for 5 days Lucerne in May?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2017 at 0:47:19 #810961

We will be In Lucerne in May and our host as suggested we but a tellpas for the 5 days.

Do we buy summer or winter tell pass as they are the only ones that I can see?

Connie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

ApplePie
    Participant
    7 posts
    4 March 2017 at 1:31:07 #859592

Hye Connie. ….did u ask ur hotel? They do provide for FREE if u stay with them with a minimum of 2 night. I will be there too this month.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2017 at 2:34:17 #859593

Hi Connie, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

The Winter Tell-Pass is valid 1 November 2016 – 31 March 2017

The Summer Tell-Pass is valid 1 April 2017 – 31 October 2017

So if you will be there in May, the Summer Tell-Pass will be the appropriate one to get.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2017 at 3:40:14 #859594

We are staying at a home stay and he recommended the tellpass but did not say he would give us one

Connie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2017 at 3:46:38 #859595

many thanks for your reply will purchase the summer one.

Our trip starts in Chur 2days

Lucerne 4 days

. Grindlewald 3 days

, Gorengrat 1 night

Zermat 2 nights

We will be using public transport every where and doing all the tourist things.Not sure if we get a half pass or a Swiss Rail Pass ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2017 at 4:49:49 #859596

>> Our trip starts in Chur 2days

Lucerne 4 days

. Grindlewald 3 days

, Gorengrat 1 night

Zermat 2 nights

We will be using public transport every where and doing all the tourist things.Not sure if we get a half pass or a Swiss Rail Pass ?

So you are going to be in Switzerland for 12 or 13 days?

In that case, I would not get a Tell-Pass. I would probably get a 15 day Swiss Travel Pass instead, but Arno and Annika are the experts on passes, so I would wait until you hear from them before buying anything.

It would be a good idea to give us some more details of your itinerary as well, with specific dates, your points of arrival in and departure from Switzerland, the order of towns you are staying in, and what activities you plan to do in each place.

The more detail you provide, the more appropriate the suggestions and advice you will receive 🙂 We can also make sure you are aware of what mountain transport will be operating or closed down while you are there, as May is a time when mountain transport tends to be closed for maintenance.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2017 at 8:24:52 #859597

Chur arrive 2/5 leave 4/5 no plans yet

lucerne arrive 4/5 leave 8/5 plan to see Bern, Arosa,Rigi,Titlis

Grindelwald 8/5 leave 11/5 plan see Jungfrau,Murren, Schiltour,Laubruten

Zermatt 11/5

Gornegraut 12/5 stay overnight hotel

Ascona 13/5 leave 15/5 no plans yet

leave for milan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2017 at 12:55:50 #859598

Hi Conniecat

It would make more sense to visit Arosa from Chur. Trains leave Chur for Arosa every hour and journey time is about an hour and is very scenic. The tourist office in Arosa is excellent by the way. We have visited Arosa twice and both times took the cable car up to Weisshorn which has incredible 360 degree views and a super restaurant. Next time we go we intend to take the woodland walk known as the “squirrel walk”!

Maggie

Annika
    7124 posts
    4 March 2017 at 14:28:49 #859599

Hi conniecat!

I agree with Alpenrose that a 15 day Swiss Travel Pass is a lot more appropriate, as you’ll be traveling across the country. Please find all validity information and purchase options at myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass.

As Maggie notes Arosa can best be visited from Chur. You’d best use the timetable to plan your trips and find traveling times. Mind to spell names correctly, otherwise the timetable may not recognize them (e.g. Schilthorn, Lauterbrunnen, Gornergrat).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 March 2017 at 2:01:55 #859600

Many thanks Maggie we will do this on your advice

Connie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 March 2017 at 3:46:12 #859601

I just realised I said Arosa I meant Ascona which I can do on the way home to Italy. But will def go to Arosa when we get to chur

• The thread ‘Which Tell Pass for 5 days Lucerne in May?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.