Clothing for Switzerland in December

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 September 2017 at 20:06:21 #813352

Hello, can you help me with the average temperatures in Switzerland in December. I have looked at some forecasts but it also seems there is a big difference in temperature up in the mountains.

Please can you also advise on the type of clothing to pack. Are thermals and coats good enough or is for example snow gear required?

thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 September 2017 at 23:49:55 #870171

Hi Joy and John,

Yes, altitude does indeed affect temperatures, but even Zürich and Luzern are extremely chilly in December. I’m Australian, a non-skier, and where I live winters are comparatively mild, so I might feel the cold a bit more than some people who are more used to it. I have spent time in the Swiss Alps during winter on three occasions so far – twice in late December and once in February. February is colder, and there is more snow about.

At Christmas last year in Wengen, Grindelwald and Mürren, it was cold and dry, but there was no snow in the villages, or even at Kleine Scheidegg. There was snow on the surrounding mountains though. The Jungfraujoch has year-round snow.

Any mountain tops you are likely to visit will have heated indoor areas – restaurants, shops and viewing areas. However, it is good to be suitably dressed in order to enjoy spending time outdoors and making the most of the mountain-top experience.

Here are details of the sort of clothing I wear in winter in the Swiss Alps, in which I have remained warm and comfortable for long periods outdoors, including in snow.

• Thermal tops and leggings.
    • Polar fleece jacket with full length zip. Full-length zips enable you to open the jacket if you are feeling a bit too warm. I like to have zipped outside pockets.
    • Down-filled jacket. Mine is 80% goose down. I prefer styles with zips that open from the bottom as well as the top, with removable hoods and zipped pockets. They are OK for short periods in falling snow, but are not waterproof enough for rainy conditions. If it rains, I wear an inexpensive lightweight waterproof jacket over the top of the down jacket. Ski jackets are waterproof, but I find them too bulky and heavy for travelling around.
    • Heavyweight pure-wool hiking socks.
    • I wear Gore-Tex-lined waterproof hiking shoes to keep my feet warm and dry and to provide good traction. I have also worn these shoes comfortably in the tropics, so they are a good all-rounder shoe.
    • Cap, scarf and gloves of course. I prefer polar fleece to wool for these, but have some fine woollen glove liners for particularly cold days. I also wear ankle and wrist warmers in extra-cold conditions.
    • More details: http://www.myswissalps.com/plantrip/clothing/winter

I hope this gives you a few ideas for deciding what will be right for you.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 September 2017 at 20:00:22 #870172

Wow this is really informative! Thank you

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    25 September 2017 at 22:42:19 #870173

Hi Guys,

The key here is layers, several thin layers are better than one thick one. For me, the most important part is keeping the wind out. If you can do that, the battle is half won. The other important point is keeping the extremities warm – fingers, toes, ears and nose. These parts can really hurt if they get too cold, so make sure you have good gloves and a warm beanie.

Cheers

Alan

Washpark
    Participant
    13 posts
    27 September 2017 at 8:54:36 #870174

In addition to all that, I carry a very lightweight, waterproof jacket with me everywhere. Not only for rain, but mostly for wind. There are many lightweight cross country ski gloves that are also wind proof to keep your hands warm. There are cross country hats that are also wind proof.

Keeping warm for me is mostly about wind or even breeze.

• The thread ‘Clothing for Switzerland in December’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.