Paris to Montreux and 5 days in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2017 at 22:29:56 #812600

My goal: Leave Paris, with around 4-5 days to make it to Montreux.

Ideally I would like to see Zermatt and, Chamonix, before heading to Montreux. My options being: Paris>Zurich. Zurich>Zurmatt. Zermatt > Chamonix. Chamonix> Montreux.

You have probably guessed a 3 day flex pass fits nicely into this schedule once I hit Zurich, leaving me with a day in each spot. Would this route be scenic and, in addition to the itinerary, is there anything close or along the way that I would be mental to not go and see?

In addition: how often are the trains running on these routes? Id like to have flexibility and, as I am traveling in September, is it likely that I will be able to get away with not reserving seats ect.

I appreciate any and all help:)

Matt.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 July 2017 at 8:26:12 #866725

Hi Matt,

I don’t think you need for a Swiss Travel Pass Flex – they are more expensive and not really needed on your itinerary. You can buy a 4 day Swiss Travel Pass (consecutive days) for just a few Swiss Francs more than a 3 day Swiss Travel Pass Flex. This way you have free transport for 4 full days (including buses in most cities etc.).

Read about what is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass here. Check prices and how to buy online here.

An alternative route is Paris to Geneva to Chamonix to Zermatt to Montreux- up to you! Trains run frequently so there are a lot of options for you. You can check out all trains schedules and routes on the Swiss railways timetable here.

Trains do not require or need reservations in Switzerland – except these few panoramic trains if you are interested.

What else to see depends on the route you decide to choose and what you may like to see when here. If you are interested in mountain excursions like Mt. Pilatus or Jungfraujoch going on your first route (via Zurich) is best as you could stop Luzern or Interlaken for a day trip. There are also nice lakes and boat cruises that you can visit if that interests you. Though I am not sure if you have the time unless you can add a day.

Let us know if you have further questions!

Lucas

• The thread ‘Paris to Montreux and 5 days in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.