The best camping sites in and around Grindelwald

• movermeeren
    Participant
    5 posts
    11 July 2017 at 10:50:20 #812587

Hi everyone,

I’m new to this forum and this is my first post. So a short introduction. My name is Michael, I’m from the Netherlands and started hiking about a year ago. I fell in love with the Alps when I was a kid, as we spend our holidays in Austria. Last year, on our trip to Italy, we passed through Switzerland and immediately fell in love with the country.

Me and my girlfriend are planning on taking a 7 day hiking vacation to Switzerland this summer (august). After doing some research we’ve found the area around Grindelwald to be a nice area to stay in.

Our plan is to travel by car and sleep at a camping site. From the camping site we want to take day-long trails in and around the neighborhood.

We have searched for some places to stay but came up with only 3 camping sites so far. I’m pretty sure there are more than those three sites. So, here’s my question to you; the community:

What is, in your experience, a good (maybe low key) camping site in the triangle area of Luzern – Interlaken – Grindelwald? (last one is the preferred area)

In advance, I thank you all for your responses and I’m curious what you’ll come up with!

Many thanks and greetings.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2017 at 9:32:19 #866662

Hi movermeeren and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Camping isn’t too popular in Switzerland so there isn’t a lot of information on it.
    I can’t say I have every camped in Switzerland (not my preferred style here) so I can’t give you a personal opinion on it.

I can give you a few websites that show more than 3 camp sites for you to look at though!

Hopefully that can help you in your search and perhaps another member can give you further details from their own experience.

Lucas

movermeeren
    Participant
    5 posts
    13 July 2017 at 7:13:09 #866663

Hi Lucas,

Thank you for your response. Those websites are very helpful to me and give more value than Google already did ;). It really aided me in completing my shortlist for camp sites.

I am curious about what you said that camping isn’t too popular in Switzerland. How is that so?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 July 2017 at 9:32:45 #866664

Oh just that camping by tent isn’t too common I think.

I could be wrong but when I do see tents they are in flat open grounds with large campervans and RVs etc….which to me isn’t proper camping either 😉

Wild camping, which I did a lot in Canada, isn’t often allowed in most cantons which is a shame – but this isn’t the wide-open nature of Canada either so it does make some sense. 🙂

movermeeren
    Participant
    5 posts
    13 July 2017 at 10:41:02 #866665

Yeah, makes sense! Guess we´re not going to experience the ´real´ camping as we are staying at sites that host a lot of those RVs and campervans. But to wake up in the morning and to see those Alps climbing out of my tent, makes up for a lot! 😀

Arno
    15484 posts
    13 July 2017 at 13:51:47 #866666

Hi Michael,

The location of this small camp site is very scenic: http://www.camping-grindelwald.ch. I don’t camp so can’t say whether the facilities are good or bad. They allow and welcome dogs, which may or may not be an advantage 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 July 2017 at 9:34:55 #866667

You certainly won’t be disappointed with the views!

Lucas

movermeeren
    Participant
    5 posts
    14 July 2017 at 10:31:05 #866668

Hi Arno,

Thank you for your response! I found some online pictures of the camp site and it’s a very small and basic camp site. But the view is amazing though! I’m sure to put it on my short list! 🙂

movermeeren
    Participant
    5 posts
    14 July 2017 at 10:33:12 #866669

I guess not. As the research continues I get by a lot of pictures from the area and getting more excited by the minute!

• The thread ‘The best camping sites in and around Grindelwald’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.