Best route order to take Swiss train trips

• Mtngirl735
    Participant
    12 posts
    20 January 2019 at 18:54:57 #819554

Hello everyone!

I will be flying into Zurich in August and need to know the best order to book these train trips.

I want to go to Jungfrau, the glacier express and the Bernina express. I don’t want to do a lot of back tracking and wasting time. I need to end up in Montreux. We plan on getting the Swiss Pass

What order do I need to go and how much time to allow.

thanks for any help you can provide.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 January 2019 at 19:53:52 #902500

Hello Mtngirl735 and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

To cover your list I would go Zurich to Jungfrau Region, Jungfrau Region to Lugano via Kandersteg and Locarno, Lugano to Chur via Tirano (Bernina Express), Chur to Zermatt (Glacier Express), Zermatt to Montreux. That minimises backtracking but is a lot of travel and would take you 5-6 days minimum. That’s just one permutation of course.

How long are you planning to be in Switzerland?

Use the SBB Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to plan your travel. If you are not familiar with using the timetable it will pay to first read the instructions on that page.

Mtngirl735
    Participant
    12 posts
    20 January 2019 at 20:45:37 #902501

Thank you ever so much! I thought that looked like the best way but wasn’t sure of the connects to make.

We arrive early on August 29th and leave Zurich on the 9th. So, a full 12 days. As always, I wish it could be longer. Oh who am I kidding, I would move there if I could! 😊❤️

Debbie

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 January 2019 at 21:22:58 #902502

Hi Debbie,

Another option . . .

Zurich to Zermatt on arrival. Zermatt to St Moritz (GEX). St Moritz to Lugano (BEX). Lugano to Luzern (Gotthard Panorama Express). Luzern to Jungfrau Region. Jungfrau Region to Montreux (Golden Pass Line). See http://www.myswissalps.com/ac tivities/scenictrips/t rain. Boat ride on GPEX is great and worth doing even if you skip the train part. If timing doesn’t suit be aware you can cover any of the “Express” routes on regular trains.

Or do BEX first then use GEX to make your way back from Montreux to Zurich.

Many many ways of slicing and dicing. 😎

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2019 at 0:09:10 #902503

12 days is actually more than enough time to cover much of Switzerland by rail.

Remember, Switzerland is a small country. It is possible to travel from the western extremity of the SBB / CFF (Swiss Federal Railways) network to the easternmost (the longest main line axis in the country due to its shape) in under 5 hours. Even journeys partly involving trains across the mountains (eg Geneve – St Moritz) can be achieved in less than 6 hours.

Personally I would choose a few fixed locations to stay and do day trips fanning out from them, for example you could stay at Chur, then Andermatt, then Thun/Spiez. Thos three are good jumping off points for the scenic routes in the Alps (and you don’t have to pay the extra money for the Bernina Express or Glacier Express, you can take your time and use normal trains and stop off along the way – much more interesting .

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 January 2019 at 1:31:01 #902504

Hi 1960man –

<<“Thos three are good jumping off points for the scenic routes in the Alps (and you don’t have to pay the extra money for the Bernina Express or Glacier Express, you can take your time and use normal trains and stop off along the way – much more interesting .”>>

While I do not disagree with your basic thesis, some travelers may be happy to pay the trivial extra few tens of CHF for reservations on the “name” trains. Of course, with an STP, the fares are the same…it is only the reservation costs that are extra. And, you avoid the need to change trains so frequently…an issue if you have luggage.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Best route order to take Swiss train trips’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.