The Gotthard Panorama Express in 2020

• Arno
    15471 posts
    1 July 2019 at 15:41:28 #822595

Hi travelers,

The Gotthard Panorama Express-train will depart/arrive from Arth-Goldau in 2020. That’s about 25 minutes from Flüelen, where it will still stop as well to connect to the boats to and from Lucerne. Other than this, there will be no major changes as far as I know now.

More details are here: http://www.myswissalps.com/go tthardpanoramaexpress/ gettingthere.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    1 July 2019 at 21:54:01 #916677

How odd. I wonder why they don’t just run it direct to Luzern? Maybe it is a plan to drum up business for the new Voralpen Express trains?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 July 2019 at 23:22:34 #916678

Not odd but very sensible. Arth Goldau is the junction of the Zurich and Luzern branches of the Gotthard route so it is the entirely logical place to start the GPE. It has/gives the following benefits:

1) is a major railway junction with storage sidings to stable the train (it is a place where some trains already terminate and park so there are clearly railway staff facilities, and it may well be a ‘signing on point’ where drivers start and finish shifts)

2) it is where lines from Zurich, Luzern and St Gallen meet

3) it adds some scenery to the trip, as the Arth Goldau – Fluelen line gives views of lakes, mountains (the Mythens) and nice farmland scenery

I attach two of my photos from a picnic last August between Arth Goldau and Steinen. One shows the Mythens and one shows the Lauerzersee

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 July 2019 at 2:27:32 #916679

Fair point. Your images are a bit itny for my ageing eyes. 🤓

• The thread ‘The Gotthard Panorama Express in 2020’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.