Swiss Travel Pass just includes 75 towns?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2017 at 19:54:25 #811496

The site says that if you have a swiss travel pass, it’s valid for local transport only in 75 towns. So which are these 75 towns? In short, if I have the Swiss travel pass, can I travel throughout the country for free, or just the 75 towns?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2017 at 10:05:47 #861942

Hello, and welcome to MySwissAlps.

Full details of where the Swiss Travel Pass is valid are described on the following page:

http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity

Download the PDF map from that page to see exactly what train, bus, cable car and boat routes throughout the country are included. Red lines are trains, yellow are buses, black are cable cars and white are boats. Solid lines indicate free travel, dotted lines indicate discounted routes.

In the legend on the top right-hand side of the PDF map there is a red-and-white symbol that looks like a target, with the explanation “Also valid for local public transport”. So, where you see that symbol on the map, local public transport is free with the Swiss Travel Pass.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2017 at 12:24:46 #861943

Hello! Thank you so much! The map helped me a lot. But I yet had some confusion regarding the lines. So, for example, if there’s a red line shown from Montreux to Geneva, and no yellow line coinciding it, does it mean I can travel for free only by train? Or is it assumed that a similar bus route would be free? I had this confusion as the two places are major places to visit, so I was surprised to know that the bus route isn’t inclusive in that case.

Arno
    15483 posts
    22 April 2017 at 12:53:41 #861944

Hi Rrnnvvss,

There is no bus from Montreux to Geneva because there is a train. Buses and trains rarely serve the same routes. Buses are for transportation within towns and suburbs, and to reach areas where trains don’t go.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2017 at 4:53:20 #861945

Alright! Thank you so much! 😀

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass just includes 75 towns?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.