The Swiss Travel Pass Spring 2023 promotion

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Kat_Spear
    Participant
    3 posts
    20 February 2023 at 18:04:00 #950061

I have decided to purchase the Swiss Travel Pass for 15 days from May 10 – May 24th. With the upcoming promotion that starts in April (and the 15 day Pass is not included), does it make sense to purchase an 8 day pas (gets 2 extra days) and a 4 day (gets 1 extra day) for a total of 15 days? Thank you!

Anna
    6274 posts
    20 February 2023 at 21:16:42 #950062

Hi Kat Spear,

A 15-day Swiss Travel Pass cost CHF429. Combining the 4-day Swiss Travel Pass (CHF281) and 8-day Swiss Travel Pass (CHF389) will set you back CHF670.

I think getting the 15-day consecutive pass would be more sensible.

Regards,

Anna

Kat_Spear
    Participant
    3 posts
    21 February 2023 at 18:01:13 #950063

Thank you Anna!

Yes, the math makes perfect sense!

Thank you so much!

Tanya_shih
    Participant
    29 posts
    25 February 2023 at 22:14:58 #950064

Thank you, Dear friend’s, it is great news to have discount on sim cards and stp. What is your best advise for us to purchase STP As we are travel for 20 days. Thank you.

Ventsislav
    Participant
    75 posts
    26 February 2023 at 11:31:08 #950065

Hey, Tania.

I can suggest these two options:

1. Wait for the promotion and buy two 8 day STP that will actually give you 20 days in total – 778 CHF in total.

2. Buy STP Flex for 15 days (449 CHF) and plan which days you will be in places like Geneva, Lucern, Basel, Interlaken or similar that give you local cards for the respective urban area transport – on these days you will not need the STP.

Yolanda
    2223 posts
    26 February 2023 at 17:18:22 #950066

Hello Tanya shih

As per Ventsislav, yes, a sensible choice would be to take advantage of this promotion, buy two 8-day passes which would give you two additional free travel days which would cover your 20 days.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Sarahfaye
    Participant
    10 posts
    2 March 2023 at 5:42:46 #950067

Hello and thank you for all the information! Do you have a more detailed map fo validity for the Jungfrau Travel Pass to compare with the BOP? Specifically I wonder about the train to Alpiglen? And does the JTP ever have a promotion? Thank you! Sarah

Yolanda
    2223 posts
    2 March 2023 at 14:19:02 #950068

Hello Sarahfaye,

You can download the validity map for both the Jungfrau Travel Pass and the Berner Oberland Pass.

With regard to Alpiglen, yes this is included in both passes, you would take the cogwheel train line between Kleine Scheidegg and Grindelwald.

Promotions are not very common for regional passes and there are none, that we are aware of at this moment.

Best wishes,

Yolanda

Sarahfaye
    Participant
    10 posts
    3 March 2023 at 0:16:00 #950069

Thanks so much for clarifying! Is there a special procedure to purchase 3 of these plus a child add on? I read somewhere if you wanted to purchase the child add on it had to be in person…? Sarah

Arno
    15471 posts
    3 March 2023 at 5:58:34 #950070

Hi Sarahfaye,

You can buy the passes online, also for children. Please see Yolanda’s links and click to the Price tab for purchase options.

Yolanda
    2223 posts
    3 March 2023 at 12:02:07 #950071

Hi Sarahfaye,

You can buy your child’s ticket on-line, if your child is under 6 years old, they travel for free and do not need a ticket. In case you are also considering a Swiss Travel Pass, Swiss Travel Pass (Flex) or the Swiss Half Fare Card, then your Berner Oberland Pass or Jungfrau Travel Pass would be purchased at a discounted price, you would not need a child’s Berner Oberland Pass in this instance, as you would have the Swiss Family Card through the Swiss Travel Pass (Flex) or Swiss Half Fare Card. With the Jungfrau Travel Pass, you would however need a child’s Jungfrau Travel Pass.

Points of sale here for you and your family:

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Sarahfaye
    Participant
    10 posts
    3 March 2023 at 15:30:14 #950072

Thai so perfect thank you! Can’t wait for our trip at the end of July.

hgarg
    Participant
    20 posts
    20 March 2023 at 13:59:40 #950073

Hello –

We (2 adults and 2 children below 16) will be visiting Switzerland first 10 days of April. Since the promotion starts after that, would the cheapest option be to take a 15 day Swiss Travel pass or buy a 8 day pass and combine with something else?

Anna
    6274 posts
    20 March 2023 at 20:28:53 #950074

Hi hgarg,

That will depend on your itinerary. A Swiss Travel Pass provides the greatest flexibility and convenience as it is valid nationwide. Sometimes a regional pass may make more sense if your trip is focused on one region or area.

You can find practical tips and info on how to choose the best railpass here: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass

Best regards,

Anna

Ventsislav
    Participant
    75 posts
    20 March 2023 at 20:58:13 #950075

It really depends on your travel plans and places where you stay.

You can combine STP Flex with the local cards that offer free public transport in areas like Geneva, Interlaken, Lucerne, Basel, Montreux etc – these are given by your place of accommodation in the respective towns.

ChrisK
    Participant
    16 posts
    21 March 2023 at 20:22:02 #950076

I try to use the MySwissAlps rail Pass calculation , and my travel will be May 26. I try to find out the cost of train let’s say Zurich – Lucern, it said too early. Is the cost be the same if I change the date to April?..

Thanks

Yolanda
    2223 posts
    22 March 2023 at 5:42:34 #950077

Hello ChrisK,

You will need to wait a few more days to have your calculations for May 26 for Zurich to Lucerne. You can typically book tickets, in advance 60 days before your travel date. I can not say for sure, the prices in April will be identical to May prices.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Arno
    15471 posts
    23 March 2023 at 8:22:21 #950078

Hi ChrisK!

Yes, prices of regular tickets Zurich-Lucerne on May 26, as well as for other trips in Switzerland, will be the same as today’s prices. They change only once each year, with the timetable update in December.

This only goes for regular, non-discounted tickets. Prices for Supersaver tickets, if available, can vary.

But non-discounted ticket prices are what you need for your rail pass calculations anyway, so you can safely enter today’s prices (CHF 25 for a 2nd class one-way ticket Zurich-Lucerne for example). More info can be found below:

Jack9989
    Participant
    6 posts
    27 March 2023 at 0:14:54 #950079

Greetings MySwissAlps Members,

This STP sale only complicates the already overwhelming number of passes and options.

Am arriving at Zurich airport on June 15th afternoon at 3pm.

I will be then staying at

1) Lauterbrunnen for 6 nights Jun15- Jun 21.

2) Zermatt for 3 nights June 21-Jun 24.

3) St Moritz/Pontresina for 3 nights Jun 24- Jun 27.

I have to catch 1:20pm flight to Toronto via London from Zurich Airport on June 27th. For that I will leave very early morning to reach at the airport on time.

I was considering purchasing Half Fare Card, Bernese Oberland Pass or Jungfrau Pass., Saver Day Pass for June 15th Zurich Airport to Lauterbrunnen, June 24th (Glacier Express 1st Class already booked) and for June 27th to travel from St. Moritz/Pontresina to Zurich airport.

Full Disclosure: Swiss Travel Pass was never into my consideration so far but this sale is making me rethink about my options.

This is very tough to answer since so many activities are weather dependent but please advice on my current strategy: Half Fare Card, Bernese Oberland Pass /Jungfrau Pass and Saver Day passes 60 days advance purchase.

Thank you. Appreciate it.

Anna
    6274 posts
    27 March 2023 at 12:50:55 #950080

Hi Jack9989,

Just looking roughly at your itinerary, I think getting the Berner Oberland Pass + Swiss Half Fare Card is sensible. If you plan to do a lot of day trips when you are based in Zermatt and Pontresina, the Swiss Travel Pass might be more convenient and provide more flexibility if your plans aren’t fixed.

Regards,

Anna

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 129 total)
  • The thread ‘The Swiss Travel Pass Spring 2023 promotion’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.