The Swiss Travel Pass Spring 2023 promotion

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

VishM
    Participant
    3 posts
    18 April 2023 at 18:25:09 #950121

Good Afternoon from New York City –

Planning a trip with my family in summer for which want to buy Swiss Travel pass (8+2 days) promotion. I called Switzerland Travel Center today morning to find out details and came to know that in case of cancellation they charge 60 CHF per booking as cancellation fee. Cancellation needs to be via email 3 or 4 days before the Swiss Travel pass start date . Reading all these forums, it seems there should not be any charge for cancellation. Anyone else has similar experience?

Thanks,

Vish

Laurae
    Participant
    47 posts
    18 April 2023 at 18:31:44 #950122

Hi, Vish. My experience with promotions for the Swiss Travel System is that pre-Covid they didn’t run any specials after 2013 (except for free parking and a few other minor perks that most travelers wouldn’t use). The past three years they’ve been running specials, likely to rebuild the tourism industry. In 2021 & 2022 they did offer a different discount that had free cancellation, but this year’s offer is not quite as expansive, likely because tourism is back. This offer doesn’t suit my month long plans for this year’s trip, so I’m waiting until a few days before my departure to purchase. One other possibility so that you can take advantage of the sale is to be sure this cost is covered by your travel insurance if you get that. Happy travels!

Laura E

Arno
    15484 posts
    19 April 2023 at 6:41:12 #950123

Hi Vish,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! Switzerland Travel Centre (SBB web shop) offers a “Flex Cancellation Option”. It costs CHF 12 for the entire order and allows free cancellation until 1 day before travel. Alternatively, there are other purchase options listed in my first post and the below link, that offer free cancellation even without such an optional policy:

http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/promotions

Arno
    15484 posts
    19 April 2023 at 9:40:33 #950124

Hi Laura,

Thanks for your input. Yes, the past years’ offers were very good ones. Too bad the current one doesn’t fit your plans. I hope you’ll find something useful for you 1-month trip. In case you haven’t read it yet, the section “Alternatives if you stay longer than 15 days” at http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/details might be helpful.

VishM
    Participant
    3 posts
    19 April 2023 at 12:58:15 #950125

Hi Arno,

Thank you so much for the information. Great help !!

Vish

VishM
    Participant
    3 posts
    19 April 2023 at 13:00:07 #950126

Thank you Laura !

Hope things work out the way you want for your trip !

Cheers!

Vish

Laurae
    Participant
    47 posts
    19 April 2023 at 14:12:28 #950127

Thanks for the tip, Arno! I hadn’t noted that a tourist could opt for the local Swiss Pass. I had done a pretty thorough spreadsheet matching my itinerary with all the options including using a combination of flex, local, and half fare options. But so far for my trip the good old Swiss Travel Pass is still the best option by 3chf and when one thinks about the convenience of it it’s a no brainer. My sister is staying only 3 weeks of the trip, so the 15 day flex pass is her best option. (I will double check on that Swiss Pass, though!)

Really appreciate all the information on this site. Thanks to all for your contributions!

Laura E

Jimbo947
    Participant
    8 posts
    19 April 2023 at 15:40:35 #950128

We will be going from Geneva (2 days) to Interlaken (3 days) and had planned to buy the Half Fare card upon arrival at airport.

In Interlaken we would buy the Jungfrau Pass to go up to Top of Europe and visit Lauterbrunnen, Wengen, Grindelwald, and First. We then leave for Italy thru Bellinzona.

Now that the Swiss Travel Pass has a special, will it pay for us to buy the 4 days or stick with our plan to get the Jungfrau Pass?

suitcase
    Participant
    70 posts
    19 April 2023 at 21:56:15 #950129

Hi Yolanda,

I am also in the same boat. I would need to pay for my first class upgrade. Can I do this at the SBB office in Zurich airport or at any train station ( eg. Luzern) or SBB office? Time would be too tight on the day of our train ride.

Thanks, Louise

PS Sorry, this is in reference to an earlier query that someone had regarding the Bernina Express class upgrade

Arno
    15484 posts
    21 April 2023 at 7:55:33 #950130

Hi Jimbo947!

The current promotion would certainly work for your plans. It will cover all town-to-town transfers during your stay, plus free bus and boat rides: https://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/validity.

Whether it’s cheaper than the Swiss Half Fare Card and Jungfrau Travel Pass combination, can only be told if you have a detailed list of plans and run calculations: https://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass.

You’ll save money with either option, so you can’t really go wrong. If you don’t like to get into detailed calculations, you can choose whatever is most convenient for you.

Arno
    15484 posts
    21 April 2023 at 7:59:38 #950131

Hi Louise!

Yes, you can get your upgrade ticket at any of those ticket desks. Online is an option too. You’ll find more information through the link under “Information on other websites” at http://www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/2nd1stclass.

If you have more questions that aren’t closely related to this Swiss Travel Pass promotion, it’s better to open a new thread for them. Thanks :-)!

VADER
    Participant
    16 posts
    24 April 2023 at 15:50:04 #950132

Hi

Can I use this travel pass for

trains that take me to top like Jungfraujoch Cogwheel Train rides,

Cable car rides like Mt. Stanserhorn CabriO Cable Car rides,

Regards

Ajay

Arno
    15484 posts
    24 April 2023 at 18:42:02 #950133

Hi Ajay,

You’ll find all validity details here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/validity. Jungfraujoch is free until Wengen/Grindelwald and the rest is 25% off. Stanserhorn is free.

ChrisK
    Participant
    16 posts
    25 April 2023 at 20:35:22 #950134

Hi Arno,

Can we go to Mount Rigi and Stanserhorn in one day?.

I have 2 night 3 days in Zermatt and 4 night 5 days in Interlaken in early June. Any recommendation of the itinerary please?

Thanks

Ravandrag
    Participant
    2 posts
    26 April 2023 at 2:25:39 #950135

Hi Again!

I reserved seats on a Glacier Express for my family of 4. Unfortunately, all 4 of us got seats in 4 different rows. I have two kids and one of them is just 3 years old and always needs adult’s help. To make things worst, one of us have seat in a different car. Is there a way I can request seats for my family in a single row? Any insights would be a great help. Thank you in advance.

Yolanda
    2373 posts
    26 April 2023 at 4:34:08 #950136

Hello ChrisK,

You could do both. If you plan your schedule ahead, it’s all doable, but would recommend an early start as it will be quite a busy day. Do use the timetable link so you can plan your schedule.

Depending on your interests – take a look at the below links, for more ideas within the Interlaken and Zermatt areas:

Should you have more questions, be grateful if you could open a new thread as this particular thread is regarding the Swiss Travel Pass promotion. Thanks so much for your understanding.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Yolanda
    2373 posts
    26 April 2023 at 8:44:35 #950137

Hello Ravandrag,

I think the best thing to do is contact whomever you booked your Glacier Express reservations with, and ask if they can amend the booking. Normally, reservations are non refundable and amendments are not allowed but if you explain what has happened, they may make an exception. It’s worth trying.

Out of interest, was your intention that your 3 year old had their own seat? Children do not need a seat reservation unless preference is that they have their own seat. Otherwise they can sit on a parents’ lap.

However, if you are traveling in Excellence Class of the Glacier Express, a seat reservation is required for children aged 0 to 6.

Keep us posted, I hope it gets sorted out.

Also, if you have further questions. We’d be grateful if you could post a new thread, as this thread is aimed at the Swiss Travel Pass promotion. Thanks for your understanding.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Dani_Lyn
    Participant
    2 posts
    2 May 2023 at 22:45:02 #950138

We are traveling for 17 days in July. We will be in Zurich for 3 days, in Endelberg for 3 days and then Grindelwald for 10 days. I was planning to use the promotion to buy the 8 days + 2 pass and then buy an consecutive 8?day Jungfrau pass since while we are in Grindelwald we will be hiking. Is this a good plan?

Yolanda
    2373 posts
    3 May 2023 at 5:16:40 #950139

Hello Dani Lyn,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

Yes, that could work. However to be sure it really depends on all your daily travel plans. It could be that another rail pass would be beneficial. Many members find it helpful to carry out a few calculations via our “how to choose a rail pass” link, thereon your best pass options are displayed for your trip.

In case you were interested, you can read about all rail passes( including the Jungfrau Travel Pass) and tickets in Switzerland here: https://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Dani_Lyn
    Participant
    2 posts
    6 May 2023 at 19:30:27 #950140

Thank you. I am looking into the details of the Jungfrau pass. On your site, it says there is a fixed price for the Jungfraujoch ticket with the Jungfrau pass. However, I clicked on the link to buy the tickets (I know it’s early, but I’m just looking at the options.) and the only options available to discount the Jungfraujoch tickets are if I have a Swiss pass, flex pass, or half card. It doesn’t let me select the option of having the regional Jungfrau pass for a discount. Am I missing something?

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 129 total)
  • The thread ‘The Swiss Travel Pass Spring 2023 promotion’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.