Strolling friendly activities Jungfrau area in May

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 May 2018 at 5:13:48 #816264

Hi Team,

I am presently in Wengen and will be visiting the Top of Europe today and believe it to be done by 2-3 pm today. Can you please suggest the best way of using the next one and half days before I move to Luzern. I am having a Swiss travel pass and I am not so much inclined of visiting Schilthorn as I have already visited Zermatt and St Morit having Glacier view. I am traveling with my 2 year old kid and am looking towards a stroller friendly trail/trip.

Thanks in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 May 2018 at 10:25:02 #886527

Hi Pankaj,

We have a list of activities and hikes you could look at doing here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/wengen/activitie s

Two ideas that come to mind is the walk from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg, passing Staubbach and Trummelbach falls – although you can’t enter Trummelbach falls with a child under 4.

Another option could be a lake cruise on Lake Thun or Lake Brienz.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 May 2018 at 19:53:34 #886528

Or, go early to Luzern.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2018 at 6:38:15 #886529

You could go up to Murren …and take the lovely trek down to Gimmelwald . Gimmelwald has been hailed amongst others (by Rick Stevens) to be the prettiest Swiss village . it is definitely a surreal atmosphere.

Incidentally , we ant to Jungrauch and also to Schilthorn . The Schilthorn is a very different experience .The cable car ride with the mountain sheets and glaciers rising up…and the Thrill walk midway is definitely a good experience . I would do this with a (1.5 hr ) trek down from Murren to Gimmmelwald on the way down .

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2018 at 6:54:10 #886530

>> Jungrauch

Jungrauch means young fumes.

The spelling is Jungfraujoch:

• Jungfrau being the name of the mountain
    • Joch meaning a ridge or saddle between two mountains – in this case, the saddle between the Mönch and Jungfrau mountains, which is where the Jungfraujoch building is.

You can listen to the pronunciation here:

forvo.com/word/jungfra ujoch/

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2018 at 7:28:38 #886531

Thanks guys.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2018 at 14:20:42 #886532

haha haven’t heard young fumes before but a lot of teens smoke in Switzerland!

I always translated Jungfraujoch as virginal ridge.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2018 at 2:23:50 #886533

>> haha haven’t heard young fumes before but a lot of teens smoke in Switzerland!

I think you misunderstood me 🙂

Young fumes is the translation of the misspelled word Jungrauch, which a poster above wrote instead of Jungfraujoch.

>> I always translated Jungfraujoch as virginal ridge.

That translation (in my opinion) describes a quality of the ridge, which to me is not quite the right meaning.

I would say that Jungfraujoch describes the location of the ridge, i.e. it is a ridge (or saddle) located between the Jungfrau and another mountain, in this case the Mönch. Then there are also similar compound words such as the Jungfraufirn, the snowfield below the Jungfrau at the head of the Aletschgletscher, and the Obers Mönchsjoch, the saddle or ridge between the Mönch and the Trugberg.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2018 at 6:15:12 #886534

I understood you. 😀 I think they should use that terms for teens who smoke though! I was so shocked at the sheer number of smokers in Switzerland – just crazy.

Fair enough on the translation – it was more literal on my part. I never asked a Swiss for the translation (only a German who isn’t familiar with the area) I will sometime!

• The thread ‘Strolling friendly activities Jungfrau area in May’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.