Strolling friendly activities Jungfrau area in May

Strolling friendly activities Jungfrau area in May

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Pankaj
Pankaj
6 posts
May 28, 2018 - 5:13 AM

Hi Team,

I am presently in Wengen and will be visiting the Top of Europe today and believe it to be done by 2-3 pm today. Can you please suggest the best way of using the next one and half days before I move to Luzern. I am having a Swiss travel pass and I am not so much inclined of visiting Schilthorn as I have already visited Zermatt and St Morit having Glacier view. I am traveling with my 2 year old kid and am looking towards a stroller friendly trail/trip.

Thanks in advance.

Lucas
Lucas
6375 posts
expert &
May 28, 2018 - 10:25 AM in reply to Pankaj

Hi Pankaj,

We have a list of activities and hikes you could look at doing here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/wengen/activitie s

Two ideas that come to mind is the walk from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg, passing Staubbach and Trummelbach falls - although you can't enter Trummelbach falls with a child under 4.

Another option could be a lake cruise on Lake Thun or Lake Brienz.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
4562 posts
expert
May 28, 2018 - 7:53 PM in reply to Lucas

Or, go early to Luzern.

Travelholic6
Travelholic6
29 posts
May 29, 2018 - 6:38 AM in reply to Pankaj

You could go up to Murren ...and take the lovely trek down to Gimmelwald . Gimmelwald has been hailed amongst others (by Rick Stevens) to be the prettiest Swiss village . it is definitely a surreal atmosphere.

Incidentally , we ant to Jungrauch and also to Schilthorn . The Schilthorn is a very different experience .The cable car ride with the mountain sheets and glaciers rising up...and the Thrill walk midway is definitely a good experience . I would do this with a (1.5 hr ) trek down from Murren to Gimmmelwald on the way down .

Alpenrose666
Alpenrose666
2257 posts
top member
May 29, 2018 - 6:54 AM in reply to Travelholic6

>> Jungrauch

Jungrauch means young fumes.

The spelling is Jungfraujoch:

• Jungfrau being the name of the mountain
  • Joch meaning a ridge or saddle between two mountains - in this case, the saddle between the Mönch and Jungfrau mountains, which is where the Jungfraujoch building is.

You can listen to the pronunciation here:

forvo.com/word/jungfra ujoch/

Alpenrose

Last modified on May 29, 2018 - 6:55 AM by Alpenrose666
Pankaj
Pankaj
6 posts
May 29, 2018 - 7:28 AM

Thanks guys.

Lucas
Lucas
6375 posts
expert &
May 29, 2018 - 2:20 PM in reply to Alpenrose666

haha haven't heard young fumes before but a lot of teens smoke in Switzerland!

I always translated Jungfraujoch as virginal ridge.

Alpenrose666
Alpenrose666
2257 posts
top member
May 30, 2018 - 2:23 AM in reply to Lucas

>> haha haven't heard young fumes before but a lot of teens smoke in Switzerland!

I think you misunderstood me :-)

Young fumes is the translation of the misspelled word Jungrauch, which a poster above wrote instead of Jungfraujoch.

>> I always translated Jungfraujoch as virginal ridge.

That translation (in my opinion) describes a quality of the ridge, which to me is not quite the right meaning.

I would say that Jungfraujoch describes the location of the ridge, i.e. it is a ridge (or saddle) located between the Jungfrau and another mountain, in this case the Mönch. Then there are also similar compound words such as the Jungfraufirn, the snowfield below the Jungfrau at the head of the Aletschgletscher, and the Obers Mönchsjoch, the saddle or ridge between the Mönch and the Trugberg.

Alpenrose

Last modified on May 30, 2018 - 2:37 AM by Alpenrose666
Lucas
Lucas
6375 posts
expert &
May 30, 2018 - 6:15 AM in reply to Alpenrose666

I understood you. 😀 I think they should use that terms for teens who smoke though! I was so shocked at the sheer number of smokers in Switzerland - just crazy.

Fair enough on the translation - it was more literal on my part. I never asked a Swiss for the translation (only a German who isn't familiar with the area) I will sometime!

Last modified on May 30, 2018 - 6:15 AM by Lucas

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018