Things to do in Zermatt, Geneva and Interlaken

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 July 2016 at 12:41:42 #809685

Hi

I am travelling to Switzerland fr om 25Jul-02Aug and while i have planned some of the itinerary i still I have a day each at Zermatt, Interlaken and Geneva and was looking for suggestions for things to do. I am travelling with family (2 kids 5 and 8 years).

I have already planned a day trip from Interlaken to Jungfraujoch and will also be doing the Glacier express while travelling from Interlaken to Zermatt. But still have a whole day in Interlaken so keen to have suggestions for that. Seperately am also doing the golden round trip from Lucerne to Pilatus mountains.

Also I have a whole day each in Zermatt and Geneva so keen to have suggestions for that as well.

Thanks

Prem

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 July 2016 at 14:11:12 #854191

Hello,

You can do a lot of different things in and around Interlaken, we’ve spent many holidays in this area and still haven’t seen everything……. You can do:

You can make a boattrip on Thuner or Brienzersee. You can go to Steamrailway Brienzer Rothorn

You can go to Grütsalp, walk to Mürren

You can go to Wengen, Mannlichen and walk to Kleine Scheidegg, Wengernalp

You can go to Grindelwald, First and walk to Bachalpsee

You can go to Schilthorn or Niesen or Blausee or Niederhorn or Harder or Trümmelbachfalls or Schynige Platte

Tell what you like to do, I make a plan for your day Interlaken.

Annika
    7104 posts
    17 July 2016 at 7:40:22 #854192

Hi Prem,

Brahms listed excellent suggestions for the Bernese Oberland. Below you’ll find some additional personal recommendations for Geneva and Zermatt. Espially note the “Activities” tabs:

Vlasta
    Participant
    58 posts
    19 July 2016 at 2:05:38 #854193

Prem, it’s easy to get to Murren from Interlaken. Stroll through the village, and take the funicular up to Ahlmenhubel, for lunch, hikes, and a very nice kids playground, and spectacular views. In Zermatt go up to Gornergrat, but be sure high altitude is ok for the kids.

You can go to Ballenberg open air museum near Brienz, lots of buildings to go in and out, acres for the kids to run around and see some farm animals as well, perhaps.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 July 2016 at 8:25:41 #854194

HI Annika

thanks for the tips on things to do in Zermatt.

I was quite keen to do the cable car from Zermatt to alien matterhorn. however the weather forecast for the one day that i am in zermatt is for rain and thunder showers. Given this does it makes sense for me to book tickets for the cable car? Any suggestions on what we can do with kids should the weather be bad and rainy?

Thanks

Arno
    15471 posts
    23 July 2016 at 17:16:23 #854195

Hi Prem,

I’m not sure which day you’ll be there, but only weather forecasts for 2-3 days ahead of time are somewhat reliable. Check again the prior day, and the day itself, and then buy tickets on the spot. If you buy online, be sure the tickets are open dated so you’ll be flexible. There isn’t a whole lot to do in case of bad weather. The museum would be an option: http://www.zermatt.ch/ en/museum.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 July 2016 at 20:11:10 #854196

Hi Brahms

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. We would like to visit either Schilthorn or Niesen. Could you suggest what we could with our day?

Also what are our options if we get bad weather. I understand there is no point in going up to the top of the mountain if it is cloudy or raining. So what can we do if that is the case

Thanks

Prem

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 July 2016 at 21:47:24 #854197

Schilthorn is better but more expensive than Niessen. The vieuw from the Schilthorn is on the Jungfrau area, with snow mountains, on Wengen and Lauterbrunnen and the other surroundings.

The vieuw from the Niessen is on the Thunersee and surroundings.

On both tops you can do not that much, but the vieuws are great.

You can do> Interlaken Ost train to Lauterbrunnen, go with cablecar to Grutsalp, walk to Winteregg and Murren. On the other site of the village Murren there is the Schilthornbahn > go to the top. Go back from Schilthorn to Stechelberg and by bus to Trümmelbachfalls, visit them and walk to Lauterbrunnen (or by bus). Back by train from lauterbrunnen to Interlaken Ost station.

You can do: Go by train from Interlaken Ost or West to Spiez (sit on the right site of the train). Go by train to Station Mülenen (one stop) to Niesen Bahn. Go upstairs to the top. Go back by train to Spiez. Walk from the station down to the Thunersee, (there are nice restaurants near the lake) go to the right and walk along the lake to Faulensee. Go from Faulensee by boat to Interlaken west.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 July 2016 at 21:53:01 #854198

Go only with nice weather to Jungfraujoch, Niesen or Schilthorn. When the sky is cloudy, you see nothing on this mountains.

With no nice weather you can visit the city of Bern, the Trümmelbachfalls, the Beatushole or a boattip on Brienzer and Thunersee. Also possible, the Aare Gorge ( http://www.aareschlucht.ch ) or Obere Grindelwald Gorge.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 July 2016 at 21:59:34 #854199

Hi Arno

As per your advice I have checked the weather on Klein Matterhorn for the 01Aug when i would like to visit there and it seems to be a sunny day. So i am keen to make the cable car trip from Zermatt to Matterhorn( i am staying in zermatt for 2 nights on 31Jul and 01Aug). However the Swiss Travel centre website is only offering tickets from 04aug onwards. Can i not book tickets now for a trip on 01Aug?

Could you please advise where i can buy tickets for the travel to Matterhorn now and the activities that are available to do at the matterhorn.

Thanks

Prem

Arno
    15471 posts
    31 July 2016 at 8:57:03 #854200

Hi Prem,

It’s too short notice to buy online as the tickets need to be shipped to you. You can buy them in Zermatt instead.

• The thread ‘Things to do in Zermatt, Geneva and Interlaken’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.