Thoughts from Maggie

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2018 at 14:54:20 #817895

This is Written by Maggie’s husband, Mike, on her behalf.

“To our friends at My Swiss Alps.

I haven’t been in touch for a while. I am in hospital with breathying problems. We have had to cancel our September holiday. I will be back in touch when I get home. Maggie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2018 at 15:00:47 #894252

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the update. Do wish her all the best from us! Hopefully you’ll get here for the Christmas markets. 🙂

Arno
    15484 posts
    15 August 2018 at 20:18:21 #894253

I’m sorry to hear that Mike. Thanks for letting us know. Best wishes to both of you!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 August 2018 at 23:41:40 #894254

Hi Mike and Maggie –

<<” I am in hospital with breathying problems. We have had to cancel our September holiday. I”>>

Really sorry to hear that.

I suggest that you avoid the Jungfrau. ;-).

Best of luck to you,and get well soon.

Slowpoke

Annika
    7124 posts
    17 August 2018 at 6:38:32 #894255

Thanks for your update Mike. Please pass on my best wishes to Maggie. I hope she’ll recover well and will soon enjoy preparations for a new holiday!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 August 2018 at 20:55:02 #894256

Thank you all for your good wishes.

Just to let you know I have been discharged from hospital. My condition is pretty complicated so won’t bore you with details! Recovery will take a while so no running up or down mountains just yet! Hope we can visit Switzerland next year if all goes well – just have to be patient and enjoy this site and others’ experiences for now.

Thanks again, Maggie

Arno
    15484 posts
    28 August 2018 at 5:50:46 #894257

Hi Maggie,

Too bad you’ll have to postpone your trip. But most importantly you’re back home. All the best with your recovery!

andrew
    Participant
    147 posts
    28 August 2018 at 13:25:08 #894258

Pleased to note that you’re now home again and that recovery continues.

I always find your reports interesting and helpful, especially as you stay in Thun. Our main base is Spiez so you often write about places we know and, not infrequently, places we don’t know. That’s particularly useful.

Regards,

Andrew

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 August 2018 at 13:53:09 #894259

Hi Maggie –

Good to hear.

Get well soon!

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 August 2018 at 21:46:18 #894260

Thanks Andrew.

As you regularly stay in Spiez your comments are relevant for us as well. In the bigger scheme of things I know this is trivial but I had planned to take advantage of full cover this year only of Schilthorn and Stanserhorn!! Did it with Pilatus last year! Never mind – have to start planning all over again once I am sure of fit I am going to be! We usually fly direct from Birmingham to Zurich but may need to explore different method of travel next time – it’s a long trip by train! Could be a new adventure though.

Hope you enjoy your next trip whenever that is.

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 August 2018 at 21:50:27 #894261

Thanks Slowpoke

Hope you your enjoy your next trip. Have I remembered correctly that it is soon?

Maqggie

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 August 2018 at 22:29:11 #894262

Hi Maggie –

<<“Hope you your enjoy your next trip.””>

Thanks. I intend to.

<<“Have I remembered correctly that it is soon?”>>

Well, your memory certainly has not been affected. 😉

I’ll be in the BO right after the marathon. Darned runners made me adjust my first plans.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 August 2018 at 5:50:42 #894263

Hi Maggie,

Glad you are well. If you take the train and want to break it up (and have time) there is a wonderful overnight train from Berlin to Zurich with Austrian railways (it continues to Vienna). Perhaps you could train hop via Amsterdam and Berlin for a night?

Just a thought. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 August 2018 at 23:15:03 #894264

Hi Lucas

Thanks for your ideas! Recovery is going to take some time I’m afraid. So I have plenty of time to research the possibilities I guess. I don’t particulary fancy overnighting in London and am not sure about changing stations in Paris. Was thinking perhaps Eurostar to Brussels to overnight then continuing on from there. As I say plenty of time to do some research!

Maggie

Annika
    7124 posts
    6 September 2018 at 14:52:24 #894265

Hi Maggie! I’m glad to see you back on the forum. You must be relieved to be back home. Take care and enjoy your holiday memories and preparations!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 September 2018 at 3:53:30 #894266

Hi Maggie,

Late to your news. Been off doing other things.

Glad to hear you are out of hospital. Hope all goes well. Best wishes.

traveljet
    Participant
    388 posts
    8 September 2018 at 7:04:27 #894267

Hi Maggie,

Hope you will get better as you do your research planning for Switzerland in the future. Perhaps the “virtual” tour will encourage and help you feel motivated to recover well.

Thanks for the many forum comments from your contributions. Take care!

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    9 September 2018 at 0:58:13 #894268

Salve Maggie,

Ego sum gauisus ut vos in via et convaluisset. Spero tibi semper fac revertaris ad hoc forum Helvetia.

I have a suspicion that Google Translate is not delivering my message (I only studied Latin for 2 years) so here is what my message was in English: “Hello Maggie, I am happy that you are on the road to recovery. I hope you will continue to contribute to this forum as you prepare for your return to Switzerland”. Well, I do recognize a few words, like sum and convaluisset and spero and semper and forum and (of course) Helvetia !

Peter

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 September 2018 at 20:09:43 #894269

Hi Traveljet

Thank you for your good wishes and kind comment re my contributions to forum. For time being having to content myself with reading about other people’s trips and researching our next trip which isn’t likely to be before 2019 now. The forum helps keep Switzerland alive for me so is important!

Best wishes Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 September 2018 at 20:36:36 #894270

hi Peterli

Nice try! You are right about Google though – they clearly don’t have a Latin expert on board! Liked the sentiment behind the message though.

Must confess in recent years have been so busy trying to improve my German, my Latin has started to rust! I have been retired over 10 years now. But just for your interest here is a slightly simpler form of your message! Gaudeo te iam domi convalescere. (I am pleased you are now convalescing at home). Spero te hic plura scripturam esse (I hope you will write more here) dum tu in Helvetiam redire paras. (while you are preparing to return to Switzerland.)

Did you know that Annika is a Classics teacher? She will be chasing us both with a red pen!

I also did French at school many many years ago – but like my German course a lot of time was devoted to Literature! I can still read and write French to a reasonable standard but conversation is beyond me (a) because French speakers speak too quickly and (b) my accent is and always has been appalling so French people would have trouble understanding me! I leave any French to hubby to deal with! My North-Eastern English accent apparently aids my German speaking or so I was told! Any way I am more comfortable trying to get by with German and enjoy giving it a go!

Vale Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 September 2018 at 21:26:53 #894271

Hi Rockoyster

Thanks for your post. Recovery is proving to be slow at the moment. My various conditions (and there are a few!) are being complicated now by cataracts so waiting to hear about treatment for those! However I am determined to get back to Switzerland in 2019 so will need to fine tune this year’s plans where necessary! Should have been travelling on Glacier Express today from St. Moritz to Brig and then on to Thun so feeling a bit sorry for myself. Hey ho – onwards and upwards as they say!

Have you got plans afoot for a further Swiss visit?

Best wishes

Maggie

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • The thread ‘Thoughts from Maggie’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.