Thoughts on the Olympic Museum in Lausanne

• juliteuscher
    Participant
    19 posts
    18 June 2016 at 2:37:35 #809472

I was wondering if anyone has input (good or bad) on the Olympic Museum in Lausanne ? My eldest son (teenager) is a huge Olympics fan and would like to go – especially since it’s an Olympic year. I think this would be a great “rainy” day option for us.

We are heading to Switzerland tomorrow evening from the States – my father is from the Lausanne area so I am very familiar with this city but have never visited this museum.

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 June 2016 at 8:10:09 #853223

Hi Julie-

have a great trip.

I’ve never been to the museum, but the quite positive comments I’ve read suggest that you will enjoy it a lot more if you are, as your son is, especially interested in the Olympic games.

Found this comment by searching on this web site-

<<“Day-3 We took a train/bus to Chexbres village and had thought of hiking through the vineyards to St. Saphorin. We should have carried a map! It was an easy trail but we got lost and ultimately cut through the vineyards to reach the next village Rivaz. But it was fun! We had to wait a long time at the station for the next train back to Lausanne. That made our visit to the Olympic Museum a short one because we had to check out of hotel for Montreux. The museum is brilliant and one can spend a couple of hours with kids! From Montreux we took the Golden Pass Panaromic which is truly awesome. The day before we had reached Montreux from Gruyere and that was part of this really scenic tour! This train was in the opposite direction and great ride too! Later in the evening checked in Swiss inn Apartment in Interlaken West which is a very nice place to stay and also had air conditioning!”>>

at –

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/our-8day-swiss-sojourn

Slowpoke

atmdel
    Participant
    10 posts
    18 June 2016 at 8:29:25 #853224

Hi!

The Olympic museum is simply awesome!! It gave us goosebumps when we went!

We had slated only an hour for it as it was a beautiful sunny day and we wanted to spend time outside. However, we dragged ourselves out after 2 hours, still feeling we could have done so much more ! Kids will love it!!

The whole history of the torch, the way it was brought to life…the history of the games and why they were revived… it was all done brilliantly. All the exhibits were highly interactive and engaging.

There is a whole section on training that athletes go through and all of us (including my inactive 8 yr old daughter) had so much fun trying to do those activities.

They have a great display on the upcoming rio olympics and a fabulous git shop too.

I would recommend going there very strongly !

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 June 2016 at 8:33:28 #853225

Hi atmdel-

When did you go there?

Slowpoke

atmdel
    Participant
    10 posts
    18 June 2016 at 10:58:24 #853226

Hi!

we just returned from Lausanne.

Infact spent 6 nights at wengen prior to 4 in Lucerne and last 2 in Lausanne.

unfortunately it rained for many of those days ( never knew that June would have soooo many rainy days) But thanks to so many incredible contributions- including yours slow poke … We had a wonderful time.

Our favorite part was wengen – gave us a very different feel of Switzerland. Just hoping we can come back some more times 😊

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 June 2016 at 14:37:32 #853227

Hi atmdel:

Sorry about the rain. Can’t recall if I mentioned the Rhone valley….Brig…as a possible dry weather escape from Wengen. The rain means lots of wild flowers in the alpine meadows. After we saw enough of them over the years, we switched to September, instead of June. Drier, on average.

I like Wengen a lot, too.

Slowpoke

juliteuscher
    Participant
    19 posts
    18 June 2016 at 15:19:13 #853228

Thank you Atmdel and Slowpoke (once again) for your input… it is definitely on our list now since it’s so highly rated (and since I want to go to Lausanne anyways). It sounds like our kids will love it ! We are leaving in a few hours for the airport – looking forward to taking our kids to the homeland of one of their grandfathers !

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 June 2016 at 16:17:02 #853229

Eine Gute Reise, or, bon voyage.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Thoughts on the Olympic Museum in Lausanne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.