Thun and Lauterbrunnen in a day from Lucerne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2019 at 13:40:46 #821117

Good day. We are currently in Lucurne. I wanted to visit the falls in Lauterbrunnen and also incorporate a cruise to Thun and explore. Is this possible on one day and what would be the best way to do this? Many thanks Debbie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    21 April 2019 at 15:01:52 #909965

Hi Debbie,

Yes, it is possible.

Luzern 07:06 – Lauterbrunnen 09:25 train

Lauternrunnen 11:32 – Interlaken West 12:03 train

Interlaken 12:10 – Thun 14:20, boat, lunch on board

Thun 16:04 – Luzern 17:55 train.

Btw you could figure that out yourself, or work out alternatives, by clicking on How to Travel on top of your screen, and navigate from there to the timetables.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2019 at 15:18:22 #909966

Thanks for the information. May be too big of a day for us. We have already traveled to the Schilthorn and was too late on our return journey to see the waterfalls at Lauterbrunnen. I have heard they are spectacular. Is it worth just going there for the day ? Is there enough to do there besides the waterfalls ? Any other suggestions be most helpful. Thank you

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    21 April 2019 at 15:39:42 #909967

< May be too big of a day for us >

I’m not surprized you are saying that. Many of our visitors have ambitious goals and become reasonable after a day or two. Maybe they are somewhat “fooled” when they compare the size of Switzerland with that of their own country.

As for the value of the waterfall, you could image-google Lauterbrunnen Staubbach Falls and see if it appeals to you. IMMO there is not much else to see in L’brunnen (at the bottom of a narrow valley), except a successful marketing operation (a bit like the Lion Monument in Lucerne, have you been there?) Lauterbrunnen, really, is mainly an access point for Wengen/Kl. Scheidegg/Jungfraujoch and Mürren/Schilthorn.

http://www.myswissalps.com/la uterbrunnen

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2019 at 15:56:34 #909968

Very interesting. Thank you. What if we just did Thun for the day? We have already done mountains and we are spending the day in Lucurne tomorrow. Just trying to make the most of this wonderful country. Or any other suggestions you may have ? We have done Rigi and Tiltlus also . Many thanks

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    21 April 2019 at 16:15:38 #909969

Bern? Ticino? Lake trip on Lake Lucerne, with stops at Gersau, Rütli… I don’t know your tastes and interests…

I’d have put Ticino on top of the list, until I checked out the weather forecast for Southern Switzerland, it should be rainy on Tuesday.

• The thread ‘Thun and Lauterbrunnen in a day from Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.