Ticino accommodation Olivone/Spruga late September

• jackdebear
    Participant
    82 posts
    6 September 2019 at 13:47:24 #823765

I’m trying to sort out my stays on a hike across Ticino from Olivine to Spruga. +- I’m surprised to find that starting from Faido and all along my route the places I’m finding are more expensive than I’m used to pay in Switzerland and largely full. There also doesn’t seem to a lot of places to stay. This in late September, not what I would think of as high season. It’s surprising.

Some years ago I hiked into Hinterrhein. I had no information that there was any place to stay there. Walking down the main street I met a woman and w/o a common language she understood that I was looking for a place to stay. She led me back to her home and showed me to a room set up for travellers. Set price with breakfast. There was no sign on her front door. I saw the same thing in Juf.

It seems there is accommodation that doesn’t show up in any of the sources I use. I have to suppose that this is part of the culture. My question is; is this a cultural thing in Ticino too?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    6 September 2019 at 14:40:03 #921850

Hi Jack,

Do you mean Olivone? What are your exact travel days and towns you want to stay in?

I don’t know about those “secret” guest rooms, perhaps someone else does. It’s hard to count on something like that after a long day of hiking 🙂

jackdebear
    Participant
    82 posts
    6 September 2019 at 15:38:32 #921851

Yes, Olivone. Secret guest rooms would be a good description. You won’t find such a thing in North American to the best of my knowledge so I imagine it’s a cultural thing. I’ve heard it mentioned as part of travel plans in Poland and Albania. Maybe just a European thing in general. Certainly not something to rely on granted. I like to nail down my stays a day or 2 ahead. Looks like Ticino is going to be challenging. Damn few grocery stores too.

Annika
    7104 posts
    7 September 2019 at 6:42:07 #921852

Hi jackdebear!

If you want us to help, then please include your exact travel dates, and the towns you’d prefer? I can imagine that some locals have rooms available for rent, but don’t add them to booking websites simply because they don’t need or want full occupancy. However, you’d be dependent on luck if that’s the kind of accommodation you’re hoping for, and I’d personally prefer to book official hotels or rentals. Secret guest rooms are not a European thing in general.

Did you check https://www.hotelscomb ined.com/Place/Switzer land.htm?

jackdebear
    Participant
    82 posts
    7 September 2019 at 10:04:28 #921853

I’m not actually looking for practical help. Just sorta scratching my head and doing like a reality check. As for an exact route and dates, they don’t exist. I’ll hit the trail in Sargans on Sept, 16 and fly out of Rome Nov. 20. I walk as much of that as possible. Val’s is the last reservation I have. After that I hope to cross Paso Soreda and probably stop at Cap. Gorda. That’s where the accommodation situation gets hinky. Would have liked to spend a couple of nights in Faido. Now it seem I might stay a night at Cap. Prodor. Hope to find a bed at Cap. Leit the next night and down to Fusio from there. Down the Maggia valley I have no clue what to expect. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of infrastructure for wanderers. Neither food nor shelter. The shelter I have located seems largely full – which is surprising for late Sept. At Cevio I’ll either turn toward Bosco Gurin or Cap. A’lszasca and Spruga.

Funny thing is I’ve even checked Warmshowers.org. In all of Ticino there are only 4 members offering shelter to members and they’re all along the coast near Locarno. Ticino seems like a Twilight Zone for travellers like me. I’ve walked many trails in Switzerland. Ticino looks very different in regard to the infrastructure I’ve come to rely on.

jackdebear
    Participant
    82 posts
    7 September 2019 at 12:25:51 #921854

Actually if you want exact place and date I had hoped to stay in Faido Sept 23 for 2 nights. If all goes well on the trail I will stay at Cap Gorda Sept 22 so Faido on the 23rd is possible. Just very limited for stays to the point where I’ve given up. If you have some secret guest rooms to share please do. Current plan is to come down to Faido on the 24th where there are actual grocery stores and load up my pack for come what may in Maggia valley. Probably have to ride up from Rodi to make up for lost time.

Arno
    15471 posts
    7 September 2019 at 15:53:33 #921855

Well, many villages there are tiny, and September isn’t high season but still quite popular. Best advice I can give you is to carry phone numbers and links of local tourist offices and hotel websites, and try to secure a place a day or two in advance like you suggested. I was able to find several available properties for a random date in late September here, for example: https://www.hotelscomb ined.com/Place/Maggia. htm. Even a few for less than CHF 100, the rest was less than CHF 140.

Here are a few suggestions in and around Faido for September 23 to 25:

And here’s one in Fusio: https://www.e-domizil.ch/ferienhaus/ 2488091/casa-camilla-1795/

Indeed the options are limited in that area!

jackdebear
    Participant
    82 posts
    7 September 2019 at 16:05:35 #921856

Thanks. Looks like some interesting finds. A problem I’ve found with booking sites is that they assume everyone is driving so they suggest places far from your destination as a hiker. Bnb.ch is good too. Never the less thanks and I will comb through them. I’m suffering from research over load. I don’t even want to think about Italy.

• The thread ‘Ticino accommodation Olivone/Spruga late September’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.