Ticino region trip report March 31 – April 2

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 April 2018 at 19:11:54 #880785

Thanks. I’m sure you’ll have a great trip!

StevefromHou
    Participant
    148 posts
    11 April 2018 at 16:37:10 #880786

Thank you for your post, gives me some ideas on what to do while there in September.

Steve

Cadeby
    Participant
    15 posts
    12 April 2018 at 13:14:53 #880787

We’re visiting friends who live in Cavergno for 4 days in July, at the end of a two week Swiss exploration. I’m really looking forward to seeing how Ticino differs from the rest of Switzerland, given it’s italian influence. We hope to visit the Valle Verzasca as you did, and also do this hike in the Valle Bavona which looks amazing :

http://www.ticinotopten.ch/en /trekking/bavona-valley

Thanks for posting about your trip. The grey skies and mist add atmosphere to your bridge and Corippo photos.

Helen x

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2018 at 17:19:58 #880788

Yes, the stone village was great in the mist!

That hike looks great! Ticino is so different from the rest of Switzerland it should be on everyone’s must-see list (especially if your European trip doesn’t include any time in rural Italy).

Adelaidean
    Participant
    121 posts
    22 April 2018 at 22:04:23 #880789

The Ticino really looks interesting. It was on my wishlist for next years’ trip, but I had to choose between ‘Italian’ lakeside or ‘French’ lakeside and routing works better with the latter. So much variety, quiet hamlets, sophisticated cities, mountains, … definitely visiting one day. Was glad you added photos. Thanks for sharing another region with us.

BarSal
    Participant
    113 posts
    24 April 2018 at 7:02:05 #880790

Thx Lucas … inspiration for local sightseeing. Based on Rockoyster’s travel report I have booked 5 nights in Lugano (in early September) – arriving on the Bernina Express from Chur and departing on the Gotthelf Express for Lucerne.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 April 2018 at 9:28:29 #880791

Hi Sally,

Gotthelf was a Swiss novelist. I didn’t know he was into trains at all, let alone express ones.

Sorry . . . . can’t resist being a smartarse. 🤓

BarSal
    Participant
    113 posts
    25 April 2018 at 5:20:19 #880792

Do you know why it changed from William Tell to Gotthelf and why was ‘Gotthelf’ significant. A link will do. I googled it and came up with nothing. (I enjoy trivia).

On something far less trivial … how far out can I reserve seats on the Bernina Express – just the actual seat reservations. Chur to Lugano (via Tirano) departing at 08:32 gets me bookings (don’t need that – have a pass that I need to upgrade at sometime before we board) .. what is the best link for seat reservations and how far out can I book? Planing to travel Saturday 8th September.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 April 2018 at 5:35:08 #880793

It’s the Gotthard (after the tunnel) not Gotthelf. I was just being cheeky. 😇

You can book BEX usually 90 days out from travel. Book here http://www.rhb.ch/en/panorami c-trains/bernina-express#info. Part way through the process you get to nominate what sort of travel pass you have and price is adjusted accordingly. You will end up just paying for seat reaservation.

BarSal
    Participant
    113 posts
    26 April 2018 at 3:25:51 #880794

Haha … come in spinner (date appropriate). Explains why my Google search returned zero. Dah!

The Saint-Gotthard Massif is a mountain range in the Alps in Switzerland, located at the border of four cantons: Valais, Ticino, Uri and Graubünden. The Gotthard Pass (at 2,106m) traverses the Saint-Gotthard Massif and connects northern and southern Switzerland. There are three major traffic tunnels, each being the world’s longest at the time of their construction: the Gotthard Rail Tunnel (1882), the Gotthard Road Tunnel (1980) and the Gotthard Base Tunnel (2016).

The Gotthard Pass is quoted in the Annales Stradenses (13th century), a guide for pilgrims who wanted to reach Rome or the Holy Land.

The massif is believed to be named after Gotthard of Hildesheim – born in Bavaria in 960, died 1038 and canonized in 1131.

Thx for the link to RhB … I’ll give it a go. SBB would only allow booking 30 days out.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 May 2018 at 7:34:40 #880795

Hi Lucas,

Is it possible to reserve seats on the Centovalli Express? I thought not and that you just padi a small supplement onboard but just noticed that the SBB Timetable show an R next to the train.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2018 at 13:39:45 #880796

As I am aware it is possible yes. It seemed to my only through SBB though!

I tried to reserve in person in Domodossola and the guy (not speaking English or German) shook his head and waved me away. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2018 at 2:36:35 #880797

Hello – we are looking to do a day trip from Zurich down to Valle Versazca. Worth it just for the day? Recommendations on where to go exactly once we get there via train. From what I can, it looks like we would take train to Locarno? Anywhere to rent bikes? Thank you very much.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2018 at 16:29:21 #880798

Hi TraceeyT and welcome to MySwissAlps!

It is a bit tricky as a day trip from Zurich – about 3 hours one-way. The end bus stop is Cirippo, Bivio which you can input on the timetable. The quickest option is via Bellinzona and Tenero.

Locarno I’m sure has bike rentals but I don’t know specifically – a Google search brought up a few options.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 May 2018 at 11:01:54 #880799

Something for the Ticino fans – http://www.newlyswissed.com/f oroglio-waterfall-in-ticino/

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2018 at 12:19:50 #880800

Those stone villages are awesome

Viewing 16 posts - 21 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • The thread ‘Ticino region trip report March 31 – April 2’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.