Huge increase in ticket for train Paris to Basel

• cam223
    Participant
    97 posts
    4 October 2017 at 13:50:12 #813430

We’ve been looking at rail tickets from Paris to Basle and then on to Zermatt. The price for the first leg has almost increased 400% in the last few days. What could cause this price jump.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 October 2017 at 14:43:33 #870564

Hi cam223,

I can’t tell you how the prices are set for trains – same with planes – it’s a bit of a mystery / a lot of factors. Typically prices go up the closer to your travel date – although 400% seems like a lot to me….100 or 150% can certainly happen.

Where are you looking for prices and for when?

Try looking for tickets on our recommended companies here as well.

cam223
    Participant
    97 posts
    4 October 2017 at 15:10:16 #870565

There was definitely something wrong with the website. I called Rail Europe and got prices on the phone. It was $74 online but cost $101 when I called. The $101 is definitely better than the $278 and $323 which kept appearing online. It’s interesting to note that the website is just a “suggestion” but tickets may or may not be available at that price. Also when you call they have prices but they aren’t necessarily confirmed until the agent processes your tickets. Glad I was able to get the tickets confirmed and reservations made for part of the trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 October 2017 at 17:07:22 #870566

Well they definately work with revenue management and yield-pricing like airlines.

I’ve seen prices for Zurich to Paris anywhere from about 100 chf to 300 chf before.

Glad to hear you’ve bought the tickets and are sorted for your trip!

• The thread ‘Huge increase in ticket for train Paris to Basel’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.