Tickets and reservations with Swiss Half Fare Card

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2018 at 14:12:51 #818052

I recently purchased tickets online for the train from Spiez to Milano Central. When I bought these tickets thru the sbb site, I mentioned I had the half-fare card and I received a reduced price. The tickets printed out and showed I had 3 window seats and one aisle. Above this notation, there were four numbers (62, 64, 65, 66), which I assumed were my reserved seat numbers. When I read about the Swiss Half-Fare card, though, it states reservations aren’t included with the card so this confuses me. Can I assume that in the process of buying my on-line tickets, I did indeed get reserved seats and there is nothing further I need to do? I will be purchasing additional train ickets, so want to make certain I have a clear understanding of how reservations work when using the Half-Fare Card. Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2018 at 19:39:52 #894887

Hi MNSandy,

Indeed it seems you made reservations at the same time as buying the reduced 1/2 fare ticket. This is fine but not common in Switzerland.

The Swiss Half Fare Card itself does not include any seat reservations itself but you can always make them at an extra cost, if you choose on some routes, which you seem to have done.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2018 at 0:20:44 #894888

Although no expert, my experience in my recent trip to Switzerland was that you buy your ticket on the “honour system”-I bought tickets, saying I had the half fare pass-then, whatever train I was on (Bernina express, intercity or regular)-if they checked the ticket, my pass applied-no problem. So I would think that if you have the ticket in hand, it should be ok.

Helene

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2018 at 6:46:49 #894889

Yes, if you buy a ticket with the 1/2 fare discount then they will ask to see your Swiss Half Fare Card on the ticket check on the train. If you don’t have it you get fined as your ticket is not valid.

• The thread ‘Tickets and reservations with Swiss Half Fare Card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.