Planning and tickets, 4 days Lucerne/Grindelwald

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 July 2019 at 12:34:21 #822862

Hello!

I am travelling from the 10th – 14th August with my parents, aged 56 & 61. Both are first timers to Switzerland. My itinerary set for us is as following:

Day 1 / 10 Aug: Travel from Milan to Lucerne. Stay at Lucerne

Day 2 / 11 Aug: Visit Mount Titlis. Stay at Lucerne.

Day 3 / 12 Aug: Visit Jungfraujoch.

Here I have booked my stay for the night at Grindelwald Youth Hostel, which means for us to visit the mountain, we will have to check out from Lucerne, leave our bags at the hostel (detour and hopefully they do let us keep the bags) and then continue our journey up!

Due to the schedule I think we will reach the top and have lunch…but by the time we come down we might not find anything to eat (we are all vegetarians). Hence, I am unsure if I should just go back to Lucerne (not checkout in the morning) or the hostel would still be okay.

Day 4 / 13 Aug: This day depends on where we stay at the end of Day 3. If we stay at Lucerne, I plan to take them to Zurich to see the city (other suggestions are welcome!) . A relaxed day.

Or… we would be in Grindelwald until lunch, relax and enjoy the mountain.

And then head to Paris from Zurich.

Questions:

1. We have Eurail passes, but since we are doing the mountains and intercity travelling, would swizz pass make sense? How much would single passes to these mountains seem to cost much more without the pass. Please advice.

2. Please advice on the Day 3 travel and stay.. it takes 4 hours from Lucerne to Grindelwald.. which is about 3 changes, and if we check out we’d all have bags. but if any of you recommend the stay at Grindelwald, then we would definitely make that journey with bags!

3. After a two mountain visits, are there any other recommendations for Day 4 that we could try… it could be cultural or scenic activity as long as it is a little relaxing…

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    15 July 2019 at 17:13:11 #917846

Hi Meghamdamani, welcome to MySwissAlps! Let’s look into your questions.

1. Your Eurail Global Passes will cover part of your plans: http://www.myswissalps.com/eu railglobalpass/validit y. There are discounts for Titlis and Jungfraujoch. Although most Swiss rail passes offer better discounts for those tips, I doubt whether it’s worth buying any additional pass for your rather short stay. If you consider one, I think you should look into the Swiss Half Fare Card rather than a Swiss Travel Pass: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard. Only detailed calculations will tell whether this actually helps you save money: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass.

2. It will be a long journey from and to Lucerne, although it’s doable if you leave early: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable. You don’t have to worry about finding vegetarian food in Grindelwald. Most restaurants offer at least one vegetarian dish, and often more than that. Larger supermarkts also provide a wide range of vegetarian and even vegan products. So your main choice is whether you want to add another hotel and base town to your itinerary, or feel more relaxed returning to the same hotel in Lucerne.

3. There are too many options to mention them all here :-). I suggest you browse these pages to see what appeals to you:

Shroffchetan
    Participant
    255 posts
    16 July 2019 at 14:41:26 #917847

For 4 days visit better to stay at Lucerne that is one base

Day 2 and day 3 activities are weather dependent and may be interchangeable or may be dropped if it is cloudy at top

Day 4 a day trip to rheinfall and/ or zurich city walk is possible. It is very relaxing

I am not conversant with eurail pass so not able to comment on this

Shroffchetan
    Participant
    255 posts
    16 July 2019 at 14:46:15 #917848

Regarding food I guess you are prefer Indian veg. You can have lunch at jungfraujoch– Bollywood. It is Indian buffet but expensive

You can have Indian food at Golden India at Grindelwald or India village near Interlaken ost train station

I do not think you will get pure veg Indian restaurant. There is Indian grocery store near Interlaken west station

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2019 at 17:06:18 #917849

Thank you Annika and Shroffchetan! This really helps…

I was just thinking of Grindelwald because as indians being in the mountains is quite a good experience! haha.. but I like the idea of Rheinfalls as well 🙂

I’ll check the tickets as mentioned!

Thanks again!

Shroffchetan
    Participant
    255 posts
    17 July 2019 at 1:33:19 #917850

If you want to live in mountain, bernese oberland will be the best place to live. If you stay in grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen you will be living in mountains. Interlaken will be more urban experience. But I like Interlaken and stayed for a week. You can spend weeks doing activities, sightseeing, hiking and mountain excursions in bernese oberland. I have not stayed in Lucerne but forum members like Lucerne also

• The thread ‘Planning and tickets, 4 days Lucerne/Grindelwald’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.