Tickets for round trip to Pilatus – how soon?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2018 at 18:31:48 #817354

Hello all,

We will have the swiss travel pass for our upcoming trip. We are staying in Zurich but plan on going to Lucern a few times. My question is, how far in advance can I purchase tickets for the Silver or Golden round trip to Pilatus? Can I purchase them on a day in which we visit Lucerne and perhaps go back a few days later and just do Pilatus?

If so, where is a good place to get the tickets? I know there is a Pilatus shop in Lucerne, would they have them there? Also would the Tourist Information office in Lucerne have it? Can they be purchased in Zurich?

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 July 2018 at 3:23:11 #891859

You need to go to the ticket office at Kriens or Alpnachstad to get a card with a magnetic stripe to use on the mountain. So there is no point in trying to buy tickets in advance. I went with a Swiss Travel Pass when Pilatus was free last year. I still had to get the mag-stripe thing from the ticket office.

Arno
    15484 posts
    20 July 2018 at 8:19:38 #891860

Hi o2bmmw,

You can buy tickets online or on the spot as soon as your visit date is picked, based on the weather forecast for example. As Rockoyster says, most if not all tickets purchased online will be exchanged for another one that allows you to pass the barrier gates. That’s the normal process and could even apply if you buy at a Swiss train station.

• The thread ‘Tickets for round trip to Pilatus – how soon?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.