Displaying tickets on SBB App without WiFi?

• rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 March 2017 at 3:38:18 #811170

Greetings to the MySwisAlps Team,

Just exploring the SBB Mobile App for our upcoming trip to Switzerland in May. We are visiting from Australia.

I understand that I can purchase tickets and display them on the mobile phone when the conducter comes to check the ticket.

I guess this means I need to be on-line to the SBB ticket shop to show the ticket? From what I have read, Swiss trains do not offer on-board wifi so I would need a local sim for my phone or a mobile wifi hotspot to access my Ticket Shop account. Still pondering the best way to tackle the sim/hotspot issue.

Assuming all the above is correct my question is . . . . . If I buy a ticket when I am in my hotel where I will have wifi is it possible to then take a screen shot of the ticket and show this picture to the conducter rather than accessing the on-line ticket shop?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 March 2017 at 6:56:52 #860408

Hi Rockoyster,

You may indeed need WiFi to display the App purchase (you really shouldn’t though, but I can’t be sure). In any case, certainly just take a screenshot at any time and they can scan that – same difference!

Have you read through our information pages in WiFi hotspots and SIM cards for Switzerland?

Lucas

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 March 2017 at 7:18:42 #860409

Thanks Lucas. I already made a reservation on the Gotthard Panorama Express and I can see that ticket in the SBB Mobile app. I just turned wifi off and it seems that the ticket is still visible so looks like the ticket is actually stored on the phone. But I will take a screen shot anyway just to be on the safe side. Any tickets that I buy on-line before we leave Australia I will carry hard copy prints.

And, yes I have read through our information pages on WiFi hotspots and SIM cards for Switzerland. My head is spinning. I need to go through it one more time. I can also buy a pre-paid sim in Australia which claims to work in 200 countries including Switzerland (using Swisscom). I’ll investigate that further as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 March 2017 at 7:27:46 #860410

no problem RockOyster!

I have heard very good things about the “travelersWifi” that we mention on our WiFi info page.

Regards,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 March 2017 at 12:59:49 #860411

can we get travelerswifi on basel tgv station

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 March 2017 at 13:29:22 #860412

Hi Rajikadinesh,

It should work anywhere in Switzerland. You have to get the actual device and have it with you to connect.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 March 2017 at 14:01:12 #860413

Can we buy this device on Basel TGV Lyria station?

Arno
    15482 posts
    24 March 2017 at 14:07:07 #860414

No you can’t, but there are numerous ways to get it. Please have a look at the link Lucas gave you and scroll down for all options. The easiest option is to have it delivered to your first accommodation. That’s what I did as well and it worked perfectly. Then afterwards just drop it in a mailbox to send it back.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 March 2017 at 14:26:03 #860415

I visited website of TravelersWifi. It mentioned that we can get it at 1500 post offices. Can we get it from some local post office near Basel train station. We would be reaching Basel by tgv from Paris. Our stay is at Lucerne. If we ask the device at our hotel in Lucerne, we will be without wifi from Basel to Lucerne

Arno
    15482 posts
    24 March 2017 at 14:38:02 #860416

Hi Rajikadinesh,

Please don’t write in all capitals, it’s prohibited by our forum rules. I have edited your post and the previous one too. There is a post office at the Centralbahnstrasse in front of the station, so that should work. Note that they don’t have a supply, you need to order it online and pick it up there. Personally I’d just travel to Lucerne as that’s only an hour or a bit more from Basel. If you have plenty of time to change trains in Basel pickup would work, but sometimes it’s just 5 minutes so you would have to wait for the next train after getting the device.

• The thread ‘Displaying tickets on SBB App without WiFi?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.