Displaying tickets on SBB App without WiFi?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
rockoyster
rockoyster
4028 posts
expert
Mar 24, 2017 - 3:38 AM

Greetings to the MySwisAlps Team,

Just exploring the SBB Mobile App for our upcoming trip to Switzerland in May. We are visiting from Australia.

I understand that I can purchase tickets and display them on the mobile phone when the conducter comes to check the ticket.

I guess this means I need to be on-line to the SBB ticket shop to show the ticket? From what I have read, Swiss trains do not offer on-board wifi so I would need a local sim for my phone or a mobile wifi hotspot to access my Ticket Shop account. Still pondering the best way to tackle the sim/hotspot issue.

Assuming all the above is correct my question is . . . . . If I buy a ticket when I am in my hotel where I will have wifi is it possible to then take a screen shot of the ticket and show this picture to the conducter rather than accessing the on-line ticket shop?

Lucas
Lucas
9645 posts
expert &
Mar 24, 2017 - 6:56 AM in reply to rockoyster

Hi Rockoyster,

You may indeed need WiFi to display the App purchase (you really shouldn't though, but I can't be sure). In any case, certainly just take a screenshot at any time and they can scan that - same difference!

Have you read through our information pages in WiFi hotspots and SIM cards for Switzerland?

Lucas

rockoyster
rockoyster
4028 posts
expert
Mar 24, 2017 - 7:18 AM in reply to Lucas

Thanks Lucas. I already made a reservation on the Gotthard Panorama Express and I can see that ticket in the SBB Mobile app. I just turned wifi off and it seems that the ticket is still visible so looks like the ticket is actually stored on the phone. But I will take a screen shot anyway just to be on the safe side. Any tickets that I buy on-line before we leave Australia I will carry hard copy prints.

And, yes I have read through our information pages on WiFi hotspots and SIM cards for Switzerland. My head is spinning. I need to go through it one more time. I can also buy a pre-paid sim in Australia which claims to work in 200 countries including Switzerland (using Swisscom). I'll investigate that further as well.

Lucas
Lucas
9645 posts
expert &
Mar 24, 2017 - 7:27 AM in reply to rockoyster

no problem RockOyster!

I have heard very good things about the "travelersWifi" that we mention on our WiFi info page.

Regards,
Lucas

rajikadinesh
rajikadinesh
87 posts
Mar 24, 2017 - 12:59 PM in reply to Lucas

can we get travelerswifi on basel tgv station

Lucas
Lucas
9645 posts
expert &
Mar 24, 2017 - 1:29 PM in reply to rajikadinesh

Hi Rajikadinesh,

It should work anywhere in Switzerland. You have to get the actual device and have it with you to connect.

Lucas

rajikadinesh
rajikadinesh
87 posts
Mar 24, 2017 - 2:01 PM in reply to Lucas

Can we buy this device on Basel TGV Lyria station?

Arno
Arno
11369 posts
expert &
Mar 24, 2017 - 2:07 PM in reply to rajikadinesh

No you can't, but there are numerous ways to get it. Please have a look at the link Lucas gave you and scroll down for all options. The easiest option is to have it delivered to your first accommodation. That's what I did as well and it worked perfectly. Then afterwards just drop it in a mailbox to send it back.

Last modified on Mar 24, 2017 - 2:07 PM by Arno
rajikadinesh
rajikadinesh
87 posts
Mar 24, 2017 - 2:26 PM in reply to Arno

I visited website of TravelersWifi. It mentioned that we can get it at 1500 post offices. Can we get it from some local post office near Basel train station. We would be reaching Basel by tgv from Paris. Our stay is at Lucerne. If we ask the device at our hotel in Lucerne, we will be without wifi from Basel to Lucerne

Arno
Arno
11369 posts
expert &
Mar 24, 2017 - 2:38 PM in reply to rajikadinesh

Hi Rajikadinesh,

Please don't write in all capitals, it's prohibited by our forum rules. I have edited your post and the previous one too. There is a post office at the Centralbahnstrasse in front of the station, so that should work. Note that they don't have a supply, you need to order it online and pick it up there. Personally I'd just travel to Lucerne as that's only an hour or a bit more from Basel. If you have plenty of time to change trains in Basel pickup would work, but sometimes it's just 5 minutes so you would have to wait for the next train after getting the device.

Last modified on Mar 24, 2017 - 2:41 PM by Arno

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018