Swiss rail – enough time between trains?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 February 2019 at 4:56:47 #820034

In reviewing the train schedules, I see that timing between trains can be a little as 2 minutes. We will be travelling with pull luggage but will not be familiar with the train system. Will we have enough time between train?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 February 2019 at 8:59:47 #904682

Hi Sue

Generally speaking, the Swiss travel system plans connections with such efficiency that they should allow for the changeover from platform to platform, for able-bodied people, so in the case of the 2-3 minute connections the platforms will be close together.

To have a look at the arrival and departure platforms, have a look at: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Make sure you use the advanced timetable. If the platforms are close together (for example 6-7, or 8-9) for your arrival and departure trains, they might even be facing each other…

The other thing I would look at is when the next train is… some destinations have very frequent trains (for example every 15 or 30 mins) and generally every station has a café or something so if you miss a connection I always see it as an opportunity for toilets, refreshments etc.!

I travel quite a lot on Swiss trains and have only missed connections where the first train is late (with rush hour for example) which does not happen often. The Swiss try to adjust this anyway by making sure the connecting train departs a few minutes later to allow people to change over (so even if you think you might not make it, it is always worth going to the platform to see if they are holding back the train).

You can also mitigate the risk by choosing a train with lower occupancy, which you can also check on our advanced timetable. If I have a flexible schedule I always try to leave earlier or later to avoid the rush hour and have plenty of seating!

I hope that makes sense and good luck planning all your train connections!

Maria.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 February 2019 at 19:55:19 #904683

Hi Sue –

To add to Maria’s comments,-

Short connections are common, and a designed with station geography in mind..

A station map, though available for many stations –

http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/railway-stations/trafimage/sta tion-plans.html

does not cover all stations. But for the major stations, it is extremely helpful.

You read the incoming and outgoing track numbers, and you can find then on the station maps.

For small stations, which may have only 2 or 3 tracks, it does not matter.

But, if you are still worried you can look on Google Maps and MapSearch.ch to see aerial images and maps of stations.

map.search.ch/?pos=618697,170568&z=10 24

http://www.google.com/maps/pl ace/Spiez,+Bahnhof/@46 .6861886,7.6793027,18z /data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x478 fae7fab68f23b:0x2b3ec6 68f3f94ff9!8m2!3d46.68 6185!4d7.680397

Sometimes they show track numbers. But, even if they don’t, you get a feeling for the station layout.

Since it is common to have narrow gauge lines branching of from the main line routes in the countryside, or suburbs, the stop for the branch line may be outside the staion and across the street. Signs point the way. The maps help you see that….

http://www.google.com/maps/pl ace/Visp/@46.2941997,7 .8807464,18.09z/data=! 4m5!3m4!1s0x478f6b1095 41ab15:0x1679302e9a464 a44!8m2!3d46.2937655!4 d7.8815941

At Spiez, which has a high frequency of trains, 2 minute connections are common. They almost always are on tracks 2 and 3…which are on two sides of one platform.

It takes approximately 10 seconds to make the walk, even with luggage.

If you are in a hurry, walk to any car, then go through the aisles until you reach 1st or 2nd class, as chosen. That is not so easy if you have a lot of luggage, so it is better to locate a car of your chosen class while still on the platform. Since seats are not reserved, except in very unusual and specific circumstances, it does not matter which car you choose.

There is signage on the platforms that shows where the cars of different classes will stop, too. Locations A, B, C, D, etc, with signs.

The larger stations have longer connection times. Bern is commonly 6 minutes. Zürich Main station may be longer.

Those major stations all have Trafimage Maps at the link I gave above.

Even for them , a map is not critical, because the layouts are obvious, and signs are clear.

Except for Zürich Main Station.

It is the only multi-level station, with a confusing array of tracks. Luckily, there is excellent signage, and, you can even rent a luggage cart that will go up and down escalators. There are queues of carts plugged together by chains all throughout the main stations. A 2 CHF coin in a slot, plus a little tugging, releases the cart. When you are done, find the queue on the platform near your outbound train, plug it in, and get your 2 CHF back. Coins. Not credit cards.

Hope that helps. The system is designed to work with fast connections, and they work. Just don’t be a slowpoke. 😉

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Swiss rail – enough time between trains?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.