Time table for lake visit in Interlaken

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2017 at 3:16:28 #811698

I shall travel in Switzerland in early July and would like to have lake tours in Interlaken Where can I find the timetable for the boat trip so I can plan my journey?

Thanks

Roger

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2017 at 5:13:34 #862860

Hi Roger,

The website of the BLS, which operates boat services on the Brienzersee (Lake Brienz) and the Thunersee (Lake Thun) has recently been redesigned, and essential information is currently not available in English (not that I could find, anyway).

So I would suggest using the SBB (Swiss Railways) timetable instead.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

The initial connections that come up after you put in the details and click on “Get schedule” will be the most direct, i.e. trains. To get boats:

— Click on “Change” next to the date and departure time at the top of the page above the list of connections

— Click on “Advanced search”

— Deselect all transport types except “Ship”

Here is a broad outline of services on the Thunersee and Brienzersee in July 2017:

Departures from Thun to Interlaken West

6 services per day

First service 8:40

Last service 15:40

Departures from Interlaken West to Thun

6 services per day

First service 11:10

Last service 18:10

Departures from Interlaken Ost to Brienz

7 services per day on weekdays, an additional service on weekends

First service 9:07

Last service 16:07 (19:07 Saturdays)

Departures from Brienz to Interlaken Ost

7 services per day on weekdays, an additional service on weekends

First service 10:40

Last service 17:40 (20:40 Saturdays)

Alpenrose

Annika
    7116 posts
    6 May 2017 at 9:49:12 #862861

Hi Roger and Alpenrose,

A link to a PDF timetable in German, French and English can be found at our Lake Thun and Lake Brienz pages, under “More on other websites”.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2017 at 8:17:40 #862862

That’s handy! Thanks Annika.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2017 at 23:20:35 #862863

Can I please have the time table for the boat cruise on Lake Brienz, Thun, Lucerne for the month of May 2017?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2017 at 0:30:30 #862864

>> Can I please have the time table for the boat cruise on Lake Brienz, Thun, Lucerne for the month of May 2017?

You can get the whole timetable for 2017 for Lakes Thun and Brienz by following the instructions provided above by Annika. Just scroll through the PDF timetable until you find the relevant time period for each lake.

Likewise for Lake Lucerne on the following page:

http://www.myswissalps.com/bo atlakelucerne

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2017 at 0:32:38 #862865

thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2017 at 1:15:33 #862866

Thanks for this info. I, too, couldn’t figure out how to change the timetable from trains to ships. Got it now. Thanks!

My family and I are traveling from Lugano to Murren. I thought I would break up the trip by going from Lugano to Brienz via train, then boating between Brienz and Interlaken Ost, then continuing on to Murren from Interlaken. My question is: can we bring our luggage (oversized backpacks) on the ship?

Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2017 at 2:39:19 #862867

>> My question is: can we bring our luggage (oversized backpacks) on the ship?

Yes, taking luggage on the boat is fine. Last year I wrote about my trip from Luzern to Interlaken Ost, including this boat trip from Brienz to Interlaken Ost, and included some pictures. If you are interested, you can read it here (2nd post):

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/trip-report-late-august-to-mid-october-2016

For the train trip between Luzern and Brienz, sit on the right in the direction of travel if you can, for the best views.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 May 2017 at 19:42:27 #862868

Thanks so much!

I enjoyed your post too! I think you misread that we’re coming from Lugano (south) not Lucerne (north), but I will heed your advice to keep the mountains in view during these trips! Sit on right when coming from the north and left when coming from the right. thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 May 2017 at 20:32:15 #862869

AH ha! I think I see what you meant now. I have to go through Luzerne from Lugano to get to Brienz. I will remember your advice. thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2017 at 2:06:38 #862870

>> I see what you meant now. I have to go through Luzerne from Lugano to get to Brienz.

Yes, that’s the fastest way, and takes 5 hours 15 minutes entirely by train. Incorporating a boat ride will take a bit longer, but will certainly be worth it, especially if the weather is nice.

You will go through the Gotthard-Basistunnel, but avoiding that long tunnel will add a lot of time to an already-long journey. Besides, from Luzern onwards you will have a very scenic trip indeed!

There are alternative ways of getting from Lugano to Mürren, e.g. via Domodossola, but that takes much longer and does not go through Brienz.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Time table for lake visit in Interlaken’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.