Tips about Wengen and the Jungfrau region by Kim

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 February 2019 at 15:58:03 #840521

Wow, !, thank you very much, printing it right now.

Rels
    Participant
    139 posts
    2 February 2019 at 21:43:23 #840522

Wow, thanks so much Kim for this document. We will be in Wengen for 8 nights in a couple of months and will be taking this with us. So much great info.

Narelle

earthdigr
    Participant
    11 posts
    3 February 2019 at 22:23:33 #840523

Kim….Your info is so helpful. My husband and I plan to spend 10 days hiking with a base in Murren or Wengen and Kandersteg. We want to see the wildflowers but aren’t sure which months are best. With climate change it’s so difficult to predict. We’re hoping the end of June to July . We are open to any and all suggestions. We’re the same age range as you and your husband. We love to hike in the mountains and are fit for moderate to more advanced hikes.

Thank you for your help in advance. Earthdgr

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    3 February 2019 at 22:30:50 #840524

Sounds like a great trip! Late June or (perhaps even better to allow the last of the snow to melt) early July would be ideal. All the high mountain excursions typically open around June 15. The areas with the most wildflowers will be the trails up around the Allmendhubel lift, the walk from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg, and the AlpenGarten at Schynige Platte.

As for hiking, I recommend you start with something straightforward that has some bail out points. I find that the Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg hike (as described in the document) is ideal for that. It is in between moderate and advanced and there are bail out points at Allmend and Wengernalp where you can hop on a train that will take you to KS. It’s also a good idea to keep track of your time so you can compare your actual to the posted time. That will be good info to have for planning your time allowances for subsequent hikes.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 February 2019 at 16:24:12 #840525

Dear Kim,
    Thank you for all the information you posted here. It sure is very helpful and makes me want to go to Switzerland!

I am planning a trip with my wife and 3 kids (12,12,8).
    My goal is to do a 3-4 days hut to hut trek in the Lauterbrunnen area.
    I thought of doing a part of the Via Alpina but I am not sure whether it is appropriate for kids.
    I’ll be thankful for any recommendation.

Idan

Arno
    15483 posts
    5 February 2019 at 17:22:04 #840526

Hi Idan,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! I recommend to submit a new thread for your question, rather than adding to this very long thread about Kim’s document. You’ll get more replies that way and it will be easier to read for others. Please include your travel dates or season. Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 February 2019 at 7:32:28 #840527

Hello all, I am planning a ski holiday with my daughter (17yo) in early March and can’t decide between Grindelwald and Wengen as a base. What would you suggest?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 February 2019 at 11:04:55 #840528

H i Powdermaster –

Sounds like a great time to visit the Jungfrau Region. Welcome to My Swiss Alps website, and in advance, to a great ski area.

We recommend to submit a new thread for your question, rather than adding

to this very long thread about Kim’s document. You’ll get more replies

that way and it will be easier to read for others.

The Forum Rules here –

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/rules

will give some guidance on how and why to start a new thread, best in Switzerland Miscellaneous.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 February 2019 at 12:20:07 #840529

Many thanks, Slowpoke, I’ll do

best

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 February 2019 at 16:17:25 #840530

Thanks Kim, You have provided so much valuable info and have taken a load off of my mind in terms of what to expect. I was confused about the best pass to use, but now think we will go with the HPC. We will probably be coming in from Konstanz and I’m guessing we could use it on that fare. Also when we leave Wengen, we will be heading to Venice. Do you have any ideas on the best travel options to get there from Wengen. I was thinking back to Zurich, then train to Venice, but I hate to backtrack. Thanks a Million!!!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 February 2019 at 16:33:42 #840531

Hi JDBlasko –

Your question really relates to train routings or an itinerary, and might best fit in the “Switzerland Miscellaneous” section . Or, the “….rail” section.

We recommend to submit a new thread for your question, rather than adding

to this very long thread about Kim’s document. You’ll get more replies

that way and it will be easier to read for others.

The Forum Rules here – http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/rules

will give some guidance on how and why to start a new thread, best in Switzerland Miscellaneous.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 March 2019 at 2:53:15 #840532

most appreciated – thank you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2019 at 17:24:33 #840533

Hello. I will be traveling to Wengen in June. I’m curious if the information in Kim’s documents are up to date? The information looks very helpful. Thank you!

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    16 April 2019 at 17:56:41 #840534

Hi Cherdave and welcome!

The document is about 4 years old but many things never change (like where the hikes are!)

Transport operating dates is of course out of date. 2019 updates:

Bernese Oberland Mountain Transport 2019 Operating Dates

Please note that all scheduled operating dates are weather-dependent. Following are the most popular transports in the region; for a more complete list see http://www.regionalpass-berneroberland.ch/en/p ass-and-infos/operating-times/

Wengernalpbahn (Lauterbrunnen to/from Kleine Scheidegg via Wengen) runs year round.

Jungfrau Railway (between Kleine Scheidegg and Jungfraujoch) operates year round.

SchynigePlatte Bahn (Wilderswil to Schynige Platte): operations resume 30 May 2019 and run until 28 October 2019 (note: the Schynige Platte to First hike is often closed until mid-June or early July due to snow)

Lauterbrunnen to Mürren via Grütschalp train: operates year round except 29 April to 3 May 2019 and 21 October to 8 November 2019. During these dates public transport to Mürren is available via the Schilthorn gondola only.

Schilthorn gondola (Stechelberg to Schilthorn via Gimmelwald and Mürren): operates year round except 23 April to 26 April 2019 and 11 November to 6 December 2019.

Männlichen gondola (from Wengen and from Grindelwald Grund)

Summer operations Wengen to/from Männlichen 11 May June to 27 October 2019. The lifts Grindelwald Grund to/from Männlichen will not resume operation until 20 December 2019 due to V-Bahn construction.. Bus service is available from Grund to Männlichen beginning 22 June to 13 October 2019. See http://www.maennlichen.ch/en/ summer-timetable.html for operating hours.

(Note: the Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg walk is usually closed until mid-June due to snow)

Allmendhubel cog train (Mürren to/from Allmendhubel): operates year round except 8 April until 13 June 2019 and 14 October until 12 December 2019. See schilthorn.ch/en/Infos /Timetable__and__Tarif f for operating hours.

First gondola (Grindelwald to First via Bort): Gondola is in continuous operation from 24 November 2018 until 27 October 20-19. For more information see http://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/grindelwaldfirst/

(Note: the First to Bachalpsee walk, accessible during summer season, is typically closed until mid-June due to snow)

Harderkulm: operates 13 April 2019 until 1 December 2019

Trümmelbach Falls typically opens from early April until November.

Lake cruises:

Lake Thun and Brienz cruises operate from April through mid to late October. Lake Brienz cruises have a limited schedule in spring and fall. To check operating dates and times use the route planner at fahrplan.bls.ch/index. html?travelMode=ship. The site is in German only but easy enough to navigate. For point of departure enter either Interlaken Ost (Lake Brienz) or Interlaken West (Lake Thun). For destination enter Brienz or Thun, respectively. Enter your date and desired time then available cruises will be displayed. You will also see a graphic that indicates stops in between but no information about arrival time is available. The ships are in dock for 5 minutes at most before continuing on to the next port.

Kim

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 April 2019 at 21:25:35 #840535

Thanks for the updates Kim. 🤓

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2019 at 14:50:57 #840536

One word. Wow! Ok…two words. Thanks!

Cr91958
    Participant
    16 posts
    16 July 2019 at 15:23:38 #840537

My husband and I are currently in Wengen staying at the Alpenrose. We have had unusually beautiful weather for the time of year. I studied Kim’s document and printed it out and it has been a most valuable resource indeed. We have taken every one of the easy hikes and ate at Da Sina last night. Onto the Bakery and Cheese Store now to stock up for tomorrow!

Arno
    15483 posts
    16 July 2019 at 18:29:14 #840538

Enjoy your trips Raytrask and Cr91958!

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    16 July 2019 at 18:33:17 #840539

Thanks for the kind words and glad you are finding the info useful!

CR91958, as you have likely discovered, the bakery is no more. However, the Coop brings in some amazing breads, over the past few years I actually preferred those than breads from the bakery. Hopefully you think so too. Chas Grübi cheese shop is still up and running and is a treasure trove of dairy products, some fresh produce, jams, and the like.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 July 2019 at 1:02:44 #840540

WOW – thank you so much for taking the time to put this together and sharing it. A fantastic resource.

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 148 total)
  • The thread ‘Tips about Wengen and the Jungfrau region by Kim’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.