Tips buying souvenirs from Switzerland

• Bsparks647
    Participant
    3 posts
    16 August 2022 at 3:34:54 #828098

Hello,

What are the biggest tourist trap shops I should avoid when looking for gifts and souvenirs to take home? I’d rather not take home cheap, mass produced items!

Thanks,

Brittany

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6376 posts
    16 August 2022 at 14:11:58 #945683

Hi Brittany,

You will come across various souvenir shops during your trip in Switzerland. Commonly, travellers buy Swiss chocolates, fondue sets, decorative cow bells, watches and Swiss Army knives. In most cases it’s cheaper to buy souvenirs from local department stores and supermarkets. You might find some useful tips here: http://www.myswissalps.com/plantrip/doityourself/savemoney (section 4 has tips on souvenir shopping)

regards,

Anna

Qwackertoo
    Participant
    3 posts
    17 August 2022 at 17:54:58 #945684

On our first trip, one of my favorite items purchased, I think we were hiking back down to the cable car in Murren from ? and it was a little chalet / farmhouse off the path and you go in and they had the nice very large authentic cow bells on a real leather collar with buckle. I think it was 50.00 and you paid via the honor system in a little basket. It has a place of honor on my shelf on the bookcase with my Switzerland treasures.

Another is a carved wooden plate with the best icons/representations of Switzerland plus another the is Lucerne specific with the Lion.

This trip, I’m getting one of the super nice BIG cuckoo clocks. I guess they will ship it home to USA for me? Don’t know about shipping. I regret not getting one our first trip in 2005 as I could have been enjoying it these past 15+ years and now they are even more expensive than they were back then.

No more pocket knives. We have plenty from our other trips. LOL

Deana

• The thread ‘Tips buying souvenirs from Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.