Tips: First Flyer/Fun Package, Jungfrau and other

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 August 2014 at 23:01:02 #806557

Perhaps you are more observant and cautious than I but it did not sink in with me that the First Flyer zip wire can be closed even in the summer and at very short notice. I had heard it could close in strong wind and thought light rain would not be a problem…not accounting for the fact that visibility also needs to be good or it would be closed, and rain can mean clouds and mist higher up. This was indeed the case when I visited it with my daughters on Wednesday July 31st in fairly wet weather, with the higher areas around First above Grindelwald shrouded in mist and cloud. The noticeboard in Grindelwald where you obtain your tickets and begin the cable car ascent showed that it was closed!

Fortunately the weather cleared the next day and having visited Jungfrau after a very early start (tip 2….an early start helps avoid the crowds – I think later arrivals were standing on the train and if I remember rightly not all passengers could get on at Kleine Scheidegg – although it was the only fairly clear day in that week which might partly explain the popularity that day) we returned via Grindelwald to go on the zip wire from First and then take the trotti bikes back down to Grindelwald…great fun!

But even on the Thursday we were told there could be delays on the zip wire if clouds came over/mist descended, while they waited for it to clear enough to reopen.

So tip 1 is, check the weather before you leave and have a plan B if it is poor in case the wire is closed. Be prepared to wait if the weather is unsettled or cloudy/dodgy in some way. http://www.meteocentrale.ch/en/weather.html seems good for weather and you can type in the location name for the forecast you want…although there is not a separate forecast for First, it is combined with Grindelwald even though it can be clear in Grindelwald but misty in First; but it should give a good indication. Forecasts can change regularly though so it is best to check over a period of time to get a feel for the direction the weather is heading in!

Tip 3. My daughters tell me you need 2 francs to use the toilets at Berne station! However, change over times are always brief in Switzerland so there is always the option to use the train WC if you don’t have the change or risk missing the train! Didn’t find charges for toilets elsewhere in Lauterbrunnen/Jungfrau region.

Tip 4. I am surprised there are no alerts about the possibility of altitude sickness arising from the rapid ascent on the Jungfrau railway. I believe I suffered mildly from this and needed some ‘time out’ to recuperate after touring the ice sculptures and climbing stairs back up to the restaurant ( not sure if the freezing temperatures there may also have contributed).

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    4 August 2014 at 6:20:32 #840783

Hi mikesc60,

These are some very good tips, thanks for sharing! Indeed all activities in the mountains depend very much on the weather. It’s something one does not realize when there’s clear and sunny weather for weeks, but with the rain of this summer it becomes an important factor. Strong winds can also cause cable cars to close for the day or a few hours, for example. Good to hear you were flexible enough to come back at another time and still enjoy the ride down.

Altitude sickness can happen as low as 2000 m. Everyone will feel some effect at heights like the Jungfraujoch. See the Jungfraujoch page for information about this.

I have edited your text as you requested, and I will move your post to the Trip Reports forum as that will give you a chance to win a hotel voucher (see here).

Thanks again!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 August 2014 at 7:26:48 #840784

Thank you!

Yes it does mention altitude sickness on the link you have given. The advice is just what I found I needed…to take things slowly and rest if necesary. There are several activities at Jungfrau and with active daughters that’s not always so easy to do!

mistybabu
    Participant
    28 posts
    10 June 2015 at 7:36:16 #840785

Hi!

The tips by mikesc60 are indeed very thoughtfully put. We are planning a visit to Jungfrau region come July. My son (10yr old) and myself too are motion sick and I have a feeling that a trip up might cause some discomfort. I will be carrying medication but please suggest any further precautions I should take for ouselves.

Thanks a lot!

Annika
    7103 posts
    11 June 2015 at 17:03:00 #840786

Hi mistybabu,

Did you never travel by cable car or gondola before, and are you worried you’ll get sick during the ride? If there’s not a lot of wind the ride is usually pretty smooth, with a bit of shaking when the cabin passes a mast or mid station. I guess the only way to know how you’d feel is give it a try on a short route, like the Oeschinensee cable car (7 minutes). You can even walk back down if you didn’t like the ride. Grindelwald to First takes 25 minutes.

mistybabu
    Participant
    28 posts
    13 June 2015 at 7:33:24 #840787

Thanks Annika! I was a bit nervous as I have never taken a cable car in the mountains. Some pictures of Matterhorn Glacier cable and some posts on the forum got me! Yeah, I guess one needs to be positive.

Arno
    15471 posts
    13 June 2015 at 7:45:46 #840788

Good luck and do let us know how it went! A new trip report would be the best place for that.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 June 2015 at 1:17:43 #840789

Hi Mistybabu were you referring to my ‘tip 4’ as this was about altitude sickness not motion sickness.

I can get affected by motion sickness myself but I do not find this to be a problem on trains and cable cars.

• The thread ‘Tips: First Flyer/Fun Package, Jungfrau and other’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.