Bernina Express from Tirano to Chur and back

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 February 2018 at 22:27:16 #814521

Hi

We plan to travel in Septemberon the BEX. We would like to stay either in Pontresina or St Moritz for one night whilst travelling. Travelling first to Chur from Tirano and then returning on the non BEX train to Pontresina or St Moritz for a nights stay in a Hotel before returning the next day to Tirano on a non BEX train.

QUESTION: is this something that is possible in the way that I describe it or am I missing something?

Obviously if someone could tell me the most cost advantagious way that would be great as well.!!

Many Thanks in advance. Alistair Mackay. Scotland

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    26 February 2018 at 23:45:25 #877287

Hello Alistair and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

You can certainly do that but I wonder why you would want to go backwards and forwards. You can break the BEX journey from Chur to Tirano at Pontresina and pick it up the next day. Just measn you would need two reservations. Where are you heading after Tirano?

That BEX does not go via St Moritz. You need to take a local train from Pontresina to get there.

Use the Swiss Train Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to plan your travel. If you haven’t used it before it will pay to read the instructions on that page before delving into the timetable. Bernina Express is denoted BEX in the timetable.

Have you had a look at “How to choose the best travel pass” (http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2018 at 9:34:26 #877288

Thanks for the prompt reply rockoyster.

The reason for the swtchback is that we need to go back Tirano.

Basically we want to do the complete trip on the bernina express but try and include an overnight stop somewhere near St Moritz or Pontresina. I realise that you can’t jump on and off when you want or it invalidates your ticket. Is there an option to buy a return ticket or are the 2 single journeys the same price? Presumably their would be an option to get out at Chur before getting back on the train to St Moritz. (is it worthwhile to explore Chur for any length of time?) Probably we would use the normal train once we have completed the Bex journey. If we decide to stay in Pontresina we would hop on a bus or do the short train trip to get from one place to the other. I take it that their are 2 stations in Pontresina!

On another tack, how cold will it be in St Moritz in mid September?

Thanks again. Alistair

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 February 2018 at 9:44:17 #877289

I misunderstood the question. I thought your were going Chur to Tirano and then doubling back.

Your original plan is fine. The timetable link I provided will reveal all the options. Seeing you don’t get to Chur until late in the day I would stay there and then work your way leisurely back the next day to Tirano. But I like slow travel.

How cold will it be in September? Do you live in the highlands of Scotland? About like that. Pack your autumn kilt!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2018 at 9:51:05 #877290

Thanks for your words of wisdom.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 February 2018 at 10:03:17 #877291

Your welcome. On a more serious note http://www.accuweather.com/en /ch/st-moritz/313129/month/31 3129?monyr=9/01/2018. 🤓

• The thread ‘Bernina Express from Tirano to Chur and back’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.