See Titlis and skip Jungfraujoch- reasonable plan?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 14:03:17 #815207

We will be traveling with our 6 and 9 year olds. We have three and a half days in Luzern, and plan to do Pilatus for one, look around the city, go to Brunnen to to Victronix center, and Rigi or Titlis. Then will then be going to Lauterbrunnen for a week. We had originally been planning to do the Jungfraugoch trip from Lauterbrunnen, but in planning Luzern I read about Titlis. I know they are different trips, but if what we are primarily interested in is seeing a glacier and a little snow play are we missing that much by doing Titlis instead of Jungfraugoch? By the time we get to Lauterbrunnen the novelty of trains will have worn off, 2 hours is a long trip, and it’s expensive. We plan to do a lot of hiking in the Jungfrau region, so we’ll be getting a lot of wonderful views and experiences. So my question is, does anyone want to convince me that we definitely can’t skip Jungfraugoch?

Bonus question: I’ve done all the numbers/spreadsheet, and we are planning to do the 15 day Swiss Travel Pass/Swiss Family Card. On the routes like Rigi and ones in Bernese Oberland that are only discounted, do the kids still ride free when we buy the discounted tickets with the STP/Swiss Family Card? Or do they only get discounted tickets?

Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 16:22:53 #881516

Hi Chuckfinley,

No, I won’t try to convince you that you can’t miss Jungfraujoch – I think you thinking is sound! Titlis will give you something similar (but without the marketing cache of “top of the world” and a few other cool things to be sure. Also you can check out the nearby and Schilthorn which is totally free on the Swiss Travel Pass. Check the coverage area of the Swiss Travel Pass here.

Kids are totally free everywhere with the Swiss Family Card. You can buy it online at the same time you buy the Swiss Travel Pass. Then choose email option for delivery and you can print it at home (and have an electronic back up in case you lose it).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2018 at 0:49:02 #881517

Thanks Lucas. I appreciate the quick reply. I think the SBB Junior Card was confusing me. We’re excited for our trip in July!

• The thread ‘See Titlis and skip Jungfraujoch- reasonable plan?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.