To Zermatt with Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland

• Irong93
    Participant
    3 posts
    28 September 2022 at 5:48:02 #828446

Hi,

I plan to buy the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland pass during our next month trip to Switzerland. For our train journey from Grindelwald to Zermatt, am I right that I only need to buy ticket that covers the ride from Spiez to Zermatt ?

With the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland pass, when we travel around the validity area, are there any specific train lines that we must ride on? Such as from Grindelwald to Interlaken or from Grindelwald to Lauterbrunnen.

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 September 2022 at 7:35:57 #947439

Hi Irong93,

you’ll find the validity map of the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland here: http://www.myswissalps.com/regionalpassberneseoberland/validity.

From Grindelwald, you can travel to Brig for free with the pass, but note, that you can only travel via the mountain route, so via Kandersteg: Grindewald – Spiez – Kandersteg – Brig. If you want to travel via the tunnel, you have to get a ticket from Spiez to Zermatt.

Except for this one, there aren’t any special trains you have to take with the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland, everything is included as the map shows.

I hope this helps,

Ildiko

MySwissAlps.com recommends reading these: Where to stay in Zermatt and Where to stay in the Jungfrau region

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 September 2022 at 11:36:03 #947440

The RPBO is an excellent pass. It is valid for ‘free’ on all the main railway routes in the Berner Oberland region, as well as some lines which link to other regions (Interlaken – Luzern and Spiez – Kandersteg – Brig).

To get to Zermatt you must take the longer old mountain route via Kandersteg to Brig (free with RPBO) and buy a ticket Brig – Zermatt OR buy a ticket Spiez – Zermatt and take an Intercity train through the fast base tunnel to Visp.

Fare comparison: a full fare point to point ticket Spiez – Visp – Zermatt via inter city costs about twice as much as a ticket Brig – Visp – Zermatt

Read carefully the FAQs, all the information is there.

Specifically, here is one FAQ:

Q: How do I know what routes the Regional-Pass Berner Oberland entitles the holders to free travel and where I need to buy a ticket?

A: The routes which entitle the holder to free travel are marked on the synoptic map with a continuous line ( ____ ) . A reduced-price ticket is required for travel on routes with a dotted line ( …… ). Here you find the detailed synoptic map.

http://www.myswissalps.com/regionalpassberneseoberland/validity

• The thread ‘To Zermatt with Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.