Tobogganing and waterfall visits early December

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 November 2016 at 7:00:13 #810348

Hi,

We’ll be arriving in interlaken and zermatt during the first week of december and would like to try out tobogganing. Have check the websites and it seems that the snow fun park at jungfraujoch is already closed while bussalp and the toboggan run at rotenboden zermatt will only be available end december 🙁 Is there anywhere else nearby that we can try out tobogganing that’s suitable for beginners? Must it be done at designated slopes or can we just rent a toboggan from any sports shops and sled down the slope?

Are both trummelbach and staubbach falls close on the first week of december as well?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 November 2016 at 9:44:41 #857070

Hello Rachteo, welkom on the forum,

The Trummelbach falls are closed in the winter

The Staubbach falls are to see, it is in the centry of the small village Lauterbrunnen. In the winter they are very small, there is not much water.

On much places you can rent a sleds. For example on Mannlichen and go along the cablecar to Grindelwald.

Snow fun park on Jungfraujoch is closed in the winter, because on much other and lower places in the Bernese Oberland there is fun in the snow.

Arno
    15482 posts
    15 November 2016 at 12:56:09 #857071

And keep in mind that early December is not the official winter sports season yet. It will depend on the weather and amount of snow whether facilities like sledge runs will be open. And they might open in weekends only. There’s snow already now, so hopefully it’s still there in a couple of weeks.

I wouldn’t recommend to go sledging away from the sledge runs. It’s easy to hit a rock, or worse, if you don’t know the terrain. The tourist office will be able to help you with the available options.

Have fun!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 November 2016 at 15:20:41 #857072

Interesting question! My trip starts soon and I was planning on visiting Lauterbrunnen valley but hadn’t even thought twice about whether or not the waterfalls would be running.

is it worth visiting to see the waterfalls in the winter, or should I skip it?

I’m finding so many things are closed or unavailable in late November that I’m no longer surprised at how reasonable hotels are… it’s hard not to feel like we’ll be missing out on much by choosing to visit when it’s not truly winter yet.

Arno
    15482 posts
    19 November 2016 at 9:20:14 #857073

Well, if it has been freezing in the mountains for a longer period of time the waterfalls come to a standstill so there’s not much to see. In such a case a nice walk is more enjoyable, e.g. Grütschalp to Mürren.

• The thread ‘Tobogganing and waterfall visits early December’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.