About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum Top 200 images of our 2 weeks in Switzerland
MySwissAlps features ads, commercial and non-commercial links.

Top 200 images of our 2 weeks in Switzerland

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Meemskirk
Meemskirk
84 posts
Oct 14, 2019 - 1:08 PM

Thanks again to everyone's help on this great site!

Here are our top 200 pictures from 2 weeks in Switzerland plus 3 nights in Chamonix, France, to tease, encourage or remind you of what's so special: photos.app.goo.gl/5fdX koVah4BkdMMm7

Our itinerary:

Started in Iceland, to Milan and Varenna, then train to Tirano.

Sept.4: Bernina Express Tirano to St. Moritz. Awesome. Stayed 1 night: Badrutt's Palace, a luxurious splurge (Rolls Royce transfers!)

Sept. 5: Glacier Express St. Moritz to Zermatt. Long; gray day. Stayed 3 nights: Zurbriggen, charming with lovely views if it wasn't so cloudy. Right by the Kleine Matterhorn cable.

Sept. 6: Loafed due to socked in weather; checked out the gorge and hiked around.

Sept. 7: Bought 1-day pass for both Klein Matterhorn and Gornergrat with optimism. Caught the 3 hour window of gorgeous Matterhorn. Back up same route hoping for clear skies at top; no luck. Went up on Gornergrat but not much visible.

Sept. 8: 10:37 train to Wengen. Packed. Stayed 5 nights: Beausite, with wonderful views, very good dinners (included), lovely hospitality. Package also included Jungfrau pass, which we found to be of great value.

Sept. 9: Rainy below; cloudy at our level. Still went to Kleine Scheidegg, then up to Jungfraujoch based on live cams. Wonderful experience including surreal hike to Monchsjoch.

Sept. 10: Up to Mannlichen, paying a little extra for the royal ride atop the gondola. Great views of the big mountains plus valley. Hiked to Kleine Scheidegg, then toward Grosse Scheidegg but there was a huge black cloud above it so turned back.

Sept. 11: Train to Grindelwald via Lauterbrunnen, up the very slow First bahns. Lots of energy and activity up here with Eiger looming. Walked to Bachalpsee and a little beyond. Returned via Kleine Scheidegg.

Sept. 12: Terrific 4 mile Eiger trail hike from Eigergletscher to Alpiglen; I returned to First because it was so beautiful and I had the Jungfrau pass.

Sept. 13: 10:03 train to Lauterbrunnen (packed), then up to Murren (also packed). Up to Schilthorn with the best views of the entire range and fun thrill walk at Birg. Stayed 3 nights: Hotel Eiger, virtually next door to the Alps.

Sept. 14: Via Ferrata from Murren to Gimmelwald: exhilarating for my first time!

Sept. 15: Early train/cable back to First, to hike 10 plus miles to Schynige Platte. Gorgeous on the front and back ends.

Sept. 16: Paragliding from Murren to Stechelberg: great fun for my first time. Bus to train station; off to Bern. Stayed: Savoy, very central location.

Sept. 17: 9:04 train to Montreux, checked our bags. Train to Vevey, walked around; bus to Chillon, walked back to Montreux. Train to Martigny; quick transfer to gorgeous train for Vallorcine. Due to schedule, transferred (easily) to the awaiting bus to get to Chamonix. Stayed: Le Genepy, terrific apartment with views, the best value we had.

Sept. 18: Stupendous day: cablecar up to Aigulle du Midi, then panoramic cable to Helbronner, Italy (extra cost). This was our top mountain highlight of three weeks.

Sept. 19: Lazy day; walked around to Les Houches and bused back.

Sept. 20: 11:30 minivan shuttle via Chamonix Valley Transfers to Geneva airport; easy train into central area. Unimpressive one-hour boat tour of Lake. Stayed: Eastwest Hotel, lovely with easy walk to lake and old town.

Sept. 21: Hung around Four Seasons to catch glimpses of Roger Federer and other Laver Cup players. Nosebleed seat for the evening session with Rafa vs Raonic, then Rafa and Tsitsipas v Sock and Kyrgios.

Sept. 22: Train to airport (and on to London).

Arno
Arno
15693 posts
expert &
Oct 15, 2019 - 5:11 AM

Thanks a lot Meemskirk, that's a wonderful collection of photos! That view from your hotel in Murren is amazing. But I'm sure your highlight was the Via Ferrata :-)

jstall1106
jstall1106
4 posts
Oct 15, 2019 - 6:20 PM

OMG! Were you there when they brought the cows home from the mountain? I was there in August and LOVED the cows, when I go back, I want to be there when the cows return!! Amazing photos!! Such a beautiful country!!

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More

Who's MySwissAlps.com?
We're passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about planning a trip to Switzerland since 2002.
More about usNewsletter signup

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2022