Top 200 images of our 2 weeks in Switzerland

• Meemskirk
    Participant
    84 posts
    14 October 2019 at 13:08:00 #824196

Thanks again to everyone’s help on this great site!

Here are our top 200 pictures from 2 weeks in Switzerland plus 3 nights in Chamonix, France, to tease, encourage or remind you of what’s so special: photos.app.goo.gl/5fdX koVah4BkdMMm7

Our itinerary:

Started in Iceland, to Milan and Varenna, then train to Tirano.

Sept.4: Bernina Express Tirano to St. Moritz. Awesome. Stayed 1 night: Badrutt’s Palace, a luxurious splurge (Rolls Royce transfers!)

Sept. 5: Glacier Express St. Moritz to Zermatt. Long; gray day. Stayed 3 nights: Zurbriggen, charming with lovely views if it wasn’t so cloudy. Right by the Kleine Matterhorn cable.

Sept. 6: Loafed due to socked in weather; checked out the gorge and hiked around.

Sept. 7: Bought 1-day pass for both Klein Matterhorn and Gornergrat with optimism. Caught the 3 hour window of gorgeous Matterhorn. Back up same route hoping for clear skies at top; no luck. Went up on Gornergrat but not much visible.

Sept. 8: 10:37 train to Wengen. Packed. Stayed 5 nights: Beausite, with wonderful views, very good dinners (included), lovely hospitality. Package also included Jungfrau pass, which we found to be of great value.

Sept. 9: Rainy below; cloudy at our level. Still went to Kleine Scheidegg, then up to Jungfraujoch based on live cams. Wonderful experience including surreal hike to Monchsjoch.

Sept. 10: Up to Mannlichen, paying a little extra for the royal ride atop the gondola. Great views of the big mountains plus valley. Hiked to Kleine Scheidegg, then toward Grosse Scheidegg but there was a huge black cloud above it so turned back.

Sept. 11: Train to Grindelwald via Lauterbrunnen, up the very slow First bahns. Lots of energy and activity up here with Eiger looming. Walked to Bachalpsee and a little beyond. Returned via Kleine Scheidegg.

Sept. 12: Terrific 4 mile Eiger trail hike from Eigergletscher to Alpiglen; I returned to First because it was so beautiful and I had the Jungfrau pass.

Sept. 13: 10:03 train to Lauterbrunnen (packed), then up to Murren (also packed). Up to Schilthorn with the best views of the entire range and fun thrill walk at Birg. Stayed 3 nights: Hotel Eiger, virtually next door to the Alps.

Sept. 14: Via Ferrata from Murren to Gimmelwald: exhilarating for my first time!

Sept. 15: Early train/cable back to First, to hike 10 plus miles to Schynige Platte. Gorgeous on the front and back ends.

Sept. 16: Paragliding from Murren to Stechelberg: great fun for my first time. Bus to train station; off to Bern. Stayed: Savoy, very central location.

Sept. 17: 9:04 train to Montreux, checked our bags. Train to Vevey, walked around; bus to Chillon, walked back to Montreux. Train to Martigny; quick transfer to gorgeous train for Vallorcine. Due to schedule, transferred (easily) to the awaiting bus to get to Chamonix. Stayed: Le Genepy, terrific apartment with views, the best value we had.

Sept. 18: Stupendous day: cablecar up to Aigulle du Midi, then panoramic cable to Helbronner, Italy (extra cost). This was our top mountain highlight of three weeks.

Sept. 19: Lazy day; walked around to Les Houches and bused back.

Sept. 20: 11:30 minivan shuttle via Chamonix Valley Transfers to Geneva airport; easy train into central area. Unimpressive one-hour boat tour of Lake. Stayed: Eastwest Hotel, lovely with easy walk to lake and old town.

Sept. 21: Hung around Four Seasons to catch glimpses of Roger Federer and other Laver Cup players. Nosebleed seat for the evening session with Rafa vs Raonic, then Rafa and Tsitsipas v Sock and Kyrgios.

Sept. 22: Train to airport (and on to London).

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    15 October 2019 at 5:11:43 #923665

Thanks a lot Meemskirk, that’s a wonderful collection of photos! That view from your hotel in Murren is amazing. But I’m sure your highlight was the Via Ferrata 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 October 2019 at 18:20:45 #923666

OMG! Were you there when they brought the cows home from the mountain? I was there in August and LOVED the cows, when I go back, I want to be there when the cows return!! Amazing photos!! Such a beautiful country!!

• The thread ‘Top 200 images of our 2 weeks in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.