Top of Jungfrau & Lauterbrunnen in May

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2017 at 20:15:49 #811590

We are going to stay in Lauterbrunnen May 18 for 3 nights and planning on going up to top of Jungfrau. If we wear a base layer, a t shirt, a fleece and a windbreaker with hat and gloves will that be warm enough? Or do we need to bring a light down jacket? Also are sneakers ok to walk in ice castle and around on the top but not all the way to the hut or should we bring light hiking shoes? Also for walking at trummelbach falls and maybe a light hike from lauterbrunnen?

Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    29 April 2017 at 19:48:26 #862427

Hi sunnybunch,

I would think that’s enough. It’s hard to predict though. Apart from the temperature, sun and wind make a big difference. Sneakers are ok for the ice cave (even with solid hiking shoes it’s slippery there). But not for walking in snow. Snow requires waterproof shoes. Walking along the Trümmelbach Falls is not difficult. Sneakers will work, but again it might be wet. For a light hike in the valley it will be fine.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2017 at 3:38:23 #862428

Thank you Sunnybunch and Arno

I was about to ask similar question regarding wearing sneakers; however in Mid August up at the Jungfrau. I would imagine it to alot warmer then?

Koula LJ

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2017 at 12:46:07 #862429

Hi Koula LJ,

It will be warmer in August but there is snow there year-round so it will depend on what you want to do up top and how much wandering around you decide on.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2017 at 19:49:01 #862430

Hi Arno,

Can you tell me if yak traks are allowed to wear on your sneakers for the ice palace and walking on the snow?

Thank you

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2017 at 3:58:45 #862431

>> Can you tell me if yak traks are allowed to wear on your sneakers for the ice palace and walking on the snow?

Yes, that’s OK in the Ice Palace and outdoors.

I wore a pair of Yaktrax over my hiking shoes in the Jungfrau Ice Palace (which is actually the interior of the glacier) and out on the Jungfau plateau, during my last visit, as I have knee problems which affect my surefootedness.

The Ice Palace does have a rail on one side that you can hang onto. Walking out onto the plateau means going up and down a slight rise which can get quite slippery in places. Most people manage perfectly well with shoes that have good traction.

However, I had had a fall there some years ago. Although I hadn’t done any real damage when I fell, I decided to play it safe this time and wear the Yaktrax.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2017 at 13:11:48 #862432

Thank you I have a bad back and very bad knees so I am very worried about falling. So if I have to go up an incline to get to the ice palace I may wait at the top for my family to go as I don’t want to fall as this is the first 3 days of our 21 day trip. But I will have the others bring yaktrax.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2017 at 15:19:25 #862433

>> Thank you I have a bad back and very bad knees so I am very worried about falling.

In that case, I think you are wise to avoid the Ice Palace and walking on the plateau. I think you should be fine on the Sphinx observation terrace though. The outdoor surface there is a metal grid, and I had no concerns about losing my footing there.

>> So if I have to go up an incline to get to the ice palace I may wait at the top for my family to go

You don’t have to go up an incline to enter the Ice Palace. Rather, you enter from a level underground paved walkway (cement, I think). However, once you get on to the ice, it is slippery, even though it is level. At the end of the Ice Palace, you emerge onto the “path” up to the plateau. That’s where the rising ground is.

Coming back into the Jungfraujoch building from the plateau, you don’t go through the Ice Palace again, but down in a lift and end up somewhere different! So if you are going to wait for your family to return from the Ice Palace and plateau, waiting at the entrance to the Ice Palace is probably not a good idea, as it is likely they will not come back that way. I would suggest arranging to meet them in one of the restaurants.

I hope you have lovely weather for your visit! I was fortunate to have a sunny day with blue skies on my last visit in December last year. I have attached some photos I took that day, including people walking around on the plateau, and one showing the metal grid surface which I think I took on the Sphinx observation terrace.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Top of Jungfrau & Lauterbrunnen in May’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.