Tour du Wildhorn – 4 day hut to hut hike

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2018 at 10:20:01 #815012

Hi,

I’m new to the forum, a Finnish woman living in Switzerland, and a beginner/medium hiker, who hasn’t really done multiple day hikes yet, nor stayed in CAS huts (although I’m a member).

I found this very informative website: http://www.tourduwildhorn.ch/ index.php/en/ and was wondering if anyone here has done that? It would be nice to hear some experiences. It seems like a nice itinerary, and with good descriptions of each stage. But I also read from some other sources, that there is some tricky parts on the route, where you’d need to use ladders and fixed ropes. Also, the difficulty level is different depending on the source – somewhere it was described as “difficult” and on the website it says “no technical difficulty” if you’re fit and used to mountains. So, I’m just a bit confused. 🙂

I would do it in the end of July, so there would be no snow.

I used the search, but couldn’t find relevant results.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    29 March 2018 at 6:28:52 #880196

Hi,

I haven’t done this particular route, so I had a look on Youtube to get an idea of what it was like. All told, it looks very pretty and the huts are excellent. A couple of observations. The path the man who made the video took would appear to be very steep, the website you found says daily variations in altitude of around 2000 mts, which is quite a lot, particulaly if you aren’t very experienced. Even if you are fit, you may have trouble keeping up with the signposted times.

On the video I found there are a couple of sections with fixed cables for added security, like a hand rail, but that’s no big deal, and it looks like at least one section has replaced a ladder with a steel staircase, which is becoming more common in the Alps. From what I could see, it’s technically very simple, but very hard work. There seemed to be a lot of scree to cover once you get above the treeline which makes things a bit harder.

This is one I would happily do, but ony after spending a week or so doing easier ones first.

Hope this helps

Alan

The video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cWJUAq2SDs

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2018 at 12:16:34 #880197

Dear Alan,

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it.

I have come to the same conclusion, we need to try something easier first in order to make it an enjoyable experience.

• The thread ‘Tour du Wildhorn – 4 day hut to hut hike’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.