Tour du Wildhorn - 4 day hut to hut hike

Tour du Wildhorn - 4 day hut to hut hike

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
anupulu
anupulu
2 posts
Mar 28, 2018 - 10:20 AM

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, a Finnish woman living in Switzerland, and a beginner/medium hiker, who hasn't really done multiple day hikes yet, nor stayed in CAS huts (although I'm a member).

I found this very informative website: www.tourduwildhorn.ch/ index.php/en/ and was wondering if anyone here has done that? It would be nice to hear some experiences. It seems like a nice itinerary, and with good descriptions of each stage. But I also read from some other sources, that there is some tricky parts on the route, where you'd need to use ladders and fixed ropes. Also, the difficulty level is different depending on the source - somewhere it was described as "difficult" and on the website it says "no technical difficulty" if you're fit and used to mountains. So, I'm just a bit confused. :)

I would do it in the end of July, so there would be no snow.

I used the search, but couldn't find relevant results.

AlanPrice
AlanPrice
193 posts
Mar 29, 2018 - 6:28 AM

Hi,

I haven't done this particular route, so I had a look on Youtube to get an idea of what it was like. All told, it looks very pretty and the huts are excellent. A couple of observations. The path the man who made the video took would appear to be very steep, the website you found says daily variations in altitude of around 2000 mts, which is quite a lot, particulaly if you aren't very experienced. Even if you are fit, you may have trouble keeping up with the signposted times.

On the video I found there are a couple of sections with fixed cables for added security, like a hand rail, but that's no big deal, and it looks like at least one section has replaced a ladder with a steel staircase, which is becoming more common in the Alps. From what I could see, it's technically very simple, but very hard work. There seemed to be a lot of scree to cover once you get above the treeline which makes things a bit harder.

This is one I would happily do, but ony after spending a week or so doing easier ones first.

Hope this helps

Alan

The video

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cWJUAq2SDs

anupulu
anupulu
2 posts
Apr 12, 2018 - 12:16 PM in reply to AlanPrice

Dear Alan,

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it.

I have come to the same conclusion, we need to try something easier first in order to make it an enjoyable experience.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018