Touring around Lausanne / Gruyeres by car vs train

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2018 at 18:32:02 #816237

Hi – I am taking my 80 year old Dad and step mom to Switzerland June 12-June 21. We are staying in Lausanne for 3 nights. (both Dad and step mom are in great shape and hike, walk a bunch in NC where they live)

Dad wanted to explore small villages near Gruyeres and toward Fribourg for a day trip. I was wondering folks’ thoughts on taking train from Lausanne vs renting a car for a day. I have driven in France recently on vacation (Avignon to Lacoste and around the area) and also braved the tiny road in Ireland (!!) which was a bit stressful, but I managed. So, I think I can handle the driving. We mainly wanted the freedom to drive around and explore that a car would offer. I was thinking of renting for the day and taking the car from our hotel in Lausanne (we are staying at Beau-Rivage) just for the ease of picking up and dropping off, but was wondering if might be less difficult to take the train somewhere and pick up and drop off car elsewhere, say if Lausanne traffic is a problem.

Thanks for any suggestions or input. – Aimee

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2018 at 8:12:14 #886379

Hi Aimee,

I don’t think you’ll find traffic in Switzerland too crazy (or the roads in that area too scary). It is a small country and not much traffic I’ve found. Mostly the concern is the alpine passes which you won’t be on.

This is really a post for our French region expert PeterLi as he knows the area well (hopefully he sees this post!) but I think the best decision is to decide where you are going first then see if it is accessible by train. If the whole point is to just wander and see what you see then the car is the way to go for a day.

• The thread ‘Touring around Lausanne / Gruyeres by car vs train’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.