6 days Switzerland with the Swiss Half Fare Card

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 October 2019 at 5:59:12 #824162

Hi,

We will be in Switzerland from 8.12 to 13.12.19 and staying in Grindelwald, Zermatt and St Moritz. Hotels are already booked as well as train ticket to Grindelwald and train ticket incl. Seat reservation leaving St Moritz on the Bernina Express. We have not booked the tickets in between the places as well as mountain excursion and hope you can help me with some questions.

Also I would like to note that we used the excel sheet provided here to work out the cheapest option to travel e.g. rail pass, half fare card,… and it will be the half fare card which I’ll buy prior to arrival online. This was very helpful!

1.Mountain excursion we are looking to go to Jungfraujoch on 9.12 and Gornergrat/Klein matterhorn with double mountain pass on 10.12. Should be we book these tickets now already, a few days prior or on the day? I assume on the day should be fine and we can get tickets due to low season in mid December? Also note that the days are fixed as we only stay 1 night in Grindelwald and 2 nights in Zermatt and we are aware weather might not be in our favour.

2. Travel Grindelwald to Zermatt. Do we just buy the ticket on the train on the day and no seat reservation is required for this or should we book in advance?

3. Travel from Zermatt to St Moritz. As the Glacier Express is not running until the week after our stay we will be taking the local trains and follow the Glacier Express route. We intent to travel 1st class. Is there seat reservation possible in 1st class or we just show up and select a free seat? How crowded are trains during this time of the year?

regards,

Tobi

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    12 October 2019 at 7:06:17 #923525

Hi Tobi,

1. You can buy the Jungfraujoch tickets online or directly from any SBB train station. Same for the Gornergrat/Klein Matterhorn pass. For more information see below:

2. Again, you can buy your tickets online or from any SBB station before your journey. There’s no need for seat reservation.

3. Buying 1st class tickets is the same as buying 2nd class. Just make sure you select the right option when you buy online or from the ticket machine. If you’re buying from the counter, just state your class preference. There’s no need to reserve seats when you travel on the local trains.

For more information about seat reservations on trains, please refer to this page:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/reservations

As you will be travelling with the Swiss Half Fare card, it might be a good idea to download and install the SBB Mobile app onto your smart device before you begin your trip. With the app, you can purchase your tickets on the go and, this will save you precious time from queuing at the counter or the ticket machine.

You can download the app from this website:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/practic al/websites

Be sure to check the validity of the Swiss Half Fare card:
    https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisshalffarecar d/price

Enjoy your trip!

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 October 2019 at 23:46:22 #923526

Thank you Anna. Good idea with the app. I have my german train tickets on the DB app already will do the same for Switzerland. We will just buy all the tickets on the day then rather than in advance.

• The thread ‘6 days Switzerland with the Swiss Half Fare Card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.