Train connection in 1 min in Lucerne?

• TerriMelb
    Participant
    20 posts
    19 January 2023 at 1:15:39 #828913

Seeking some further help. I am aware that swiss trains are famous for running on time. I am looking at connections in Luzern to Interlaken. Our train from Germany will arrive on Platform 7 and depart Platform 13 just 1 minute later. I assume a 1 minute turnaround, is unrealistic, noting we each have a modest suitcase. Would love your advice. The next train leaves one hour later so it would be a big bonus if we could make the connection.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2023 at 6:52:41 #949840

I am working with SBB in Lucerne; besides working as a ticket inspector, I work as train supervisor in the Lucerne station. As supervisor, one of my duties is to manage train connections and to assure them by – if possible – holding back trains if one is late. Usually, we can delay a connecting service by 1-2 minutes to guarantee connections. So in a perfect world, yes the connection is doable because distances in the Lucerne station are very short.

Now, with the EC151 it is different. I should even say, this train is the most unreliable train connection in the entire Swiss rail network. An unreliable Italian carriage meets German railway punctuality, not a good precondition. In other words, this train is always late; if it is running on time, it’s rather an exception while the Swiss rail’s reputation on punctuality is normally the contrary. It happens often that the train is rerouted nonstop from Basel to Arth-Goldau and not serving Lucerne station at all, to make up the delay. In this case, it stops next in Arth-Goldau and you will have to travel from there back to Lucerne using another train.

Just a little delay history of the last 2 days:

• 18. Jan: 6 minutes
    • 17. Jan: 23 minutes

And what is the conclusion for you? Be more than happy if you can make the connection, otherwise you will have to wait for the next train. If you are not having too many bags, you can still use a locker in the Lucene station (platform 14) and explore the lake and the Chapel bridge which are both just in front of the station.

TerriMelb
    Participant
    20 posts
    19 January 2023 at 10:32:06 #949841

Wow Trainliner! This is an amazing response. Certainly more than I could have hoped for. Having this information will really help take the stress out of the day if connections go badly – particularly if we find ourselves in Arth-Goldau. We will face the day ready for anything and cross our fingers. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your enormous knowledge. Thank you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2023 at 13:11:12 #949842

Hi Terrismith67,

I just read the fantastic answer from Trainliner. I do not recommend that 1 min change either. I think that changes under 5 mins are unpredictable.

As you are coming from Germany, please check this one too: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/germany.

Ildiko

Learn more about the Swiss train system: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/howtotravel

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2023 at 19:53:44 #949843

Today, the train was on time 🙂

It must have heard that we talked about its performance 🙂

TravelLife
    Participant
    28 posts
    19 January 2023 at 21:28:17 #949844

I apologize for posting my question here, but I couldn’t figure out how to ask only Trainliner a question. Trainliner, in your position, could you give me some advice on highspeed trains to take from Switzerland to Italy (as close to Venice as possible)? I’ll be in Switzerland for 5 days & then on to Italy. You seem so knowledgeable, I thought it wouldn’t hurt to ask. Thank you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2023 at 23:10:02 #949845

There have always been a few direct trains each day between Switzerland and Venezia (Venice) and vice versa.

At present there are two:

A) via the Gotthard base tunnel route (ie Zurich – Arth Goldau – Bellinzona – Lugano) – Milano Centrale – Venezia

EC311 depart Zurich 08.33

The same service returns north (EC310)

B) via the Simplon route (ie Brig – Domodossola – Stresa) – Milano Centrale – Venezia

EC35 depart Geneve depart 05.39, Brig 07.40

Northbound equivalent EC42

Otherwise, take any one of the many trains each day on both routes to Milano (ie from Zurich, Basel or Geneve), and change into a fast train Milano – Venezia

For international fast connections, the best planner is the German railway planner (they invented them…) at bahn.com

TerriMelb
    Participant
    20 posts
    20 January 2023 at 0:42:42 #949846

Hi Trainliner – thanks for that extra bit of info.

And Ildiko – thanks for taking the time to send the links for additional information.

Mark
    Participant
    804 posts
    20 January 2023 at 22:46:32 #949847

We made a 1 minute train connection this past September in Bern when our inbound train was late arriving. The train platforms were very close to each other but up 1 floor. Anyway it is possible but I certainly would be prepared to catch the later train (likely).

Mark

• The thread ‘Train connection in 1 min in Lucerne?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.